Who Me Too'd this topic

rgautier
Apprentice

Orbi RBR50 DNS - PLEASE ADD DHCP OPTIONS TO SET CLIENTS TO ALT DNS

I have DNS issues with the resolver on the Orbi DNS daemon/resolver - and they are NOT related to DHCP mis-assignment.  If I change the DNS manually on the devices to ignore the Orbi DNS resolver, and use either my provider modem or just straight to Google or CloudFlare DNS, everything works SWIMMINGLY.  I LOVE my signal coverage, and the flexibility of the mesh.  I LOVE the speeds I get...but DNS...just SUCKS.

And what's worse is that there are NO DHCP OPTIONS on the Orbi to set DNS for clients to use something else.  I turned off Armor because I thought maybe it was burping on DNS lookups while it checked to see if the site was 'ok' or not.

And it fails on sites like YOUTUBE, for crying out loud.  A wait of 5 seconds and a reload, and DNS lookups start working again, but depending on the device, app and local DNS caching of the bad response, it's a right pain in the rear end.

I'm thinking of setting up a pi-hole and enabling DHCP from that device JUST to get DNS resolvers to be anything BUT this device. 

This is so easy to fix by two things - 1) ADD THE DNS OPTION TO THE DHCP CONFIG.  Let me set the DNS resolver (to, say my pi-hole, or to OpenDNS).  I don't NEED to use the Orbi DNS resolver if I don't want Armor.   2) DEBUG AND FIX THE DNS DAEMON ON THE BOX!! 

I bought the Orbi with 2 satellites from Costo, and I still have the box because even though I want mesh, my old Nighthawk and repeater worked so much better...and I am debating bringing it back.

Problem was CONSTANT with 3.2.15.5 - just upgraded to .16.6 - crossing my fingers that this is fixed....but GOD this bug is irritating as hell.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Who Me Too'd this topic