Who Me Too'd this solution

Re: Internet connection drops forcing renew IP lease to resume working

Well, I finally fixed by problem. For the last several weeks, I have had the RBR750 drop internet connection. It would drop the connection after 24 hours since I rebooted the router. I figured out that the problem was when the IP address lease was up the router would stop working. The router was not renewing the IP address lease correctly or effectively. Once internet access would drop, I'd just log into the router and release and renew the IP address manually and the internet would magically work again fine. Something had to change over the last few weeks as this router was working great from May 2020 to just a few weeks ago. I tried everything, upgraded to latest firmware (3.2.17.12) since I was previously on 3.2.16.22, resetting to factory settings and setting up router again from scratch, and trying everything. Sadly, the suggestion on other threads to telnet in and reset the IP address lease time to shorter was unable to be done since I couldn't get telnet to work.

Well, after trying a lot of other things, I decided to downgrade the firmware to a version prior to the one I was using as outlined above. I downgraded to version 3.2.16.6 and have not had one issue since. The router has been up for over 24 hours now and already successfully renewed it's IP address lease on it's own without intervention. This fully solved everything.

Sadly, I think there is a bug in the newer firmware versions that caused a problem with IP address lease renewal. Nothing including factory reset fixed the issue until I downgraded firmware. Hopefully this gets fixed in an update so that I can have the other bug fixes as well, just not new bug introductions.

Hope this helps someone else who finds it. Suprised not more issues have been reported, but then again, maybe not a lot of people upgrade firmware religiously.

View solution in original post

Who Me Too'd this solution