Who Me Too'd this topic

ScottyBeam
Aspirant

Poor coverage and signal strength with AP WAX214

Dear Community

I recently bought the AP WAX-216 for private use to improve the WLAN coverage in my appartment plus to get WiFi6 (AX) support.

Setup: I use the AP with PoE powered by a Cisco RV216P router. The access point is mounted in about 2.5 meters hight without any other transmitting devices nearby.  So I would consider this as a proper place for the AP.

Problem: Using AC clients I receive a very poor signal strength. One AC client is in about 10 meter distance from the AP without any obstacles in the way but I only get about -60dbm. In the room next to the AP I only get about -70dbm which is causing the connection to sometimes drop (altough the frequence changes to 2.4GHz). Not worth mentioning, that the bandwith is super low.

With my "non-business" WLAN-Router before (which was placed behind my TV, so not ideal), I got way better signal strengh (with the AC client about -50dbm and in the room next to it about -60dbm.

Looking at the AP specs, the AP consumes 16W, checking the power consumption on the Cisco it says, only 5 Watt are consumed by the AP. In the AP menu there is a setting for transmission power but this menu item is greyed out, so cant check/change anything there :-(: Latest firmware is installed.

Appreciate if anyone could help me out in solving the problem, else I need to send it back and replace it with a different AP.

Many thanks

Scotty

Who Me Too'd this topic