Who Me Too'd this solution

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk app not connecting but Wi-Fi works

So wanted to see if NH app v2.16.0.299 would connect to my R7000 with v.134 loaded to day. Would not connect with the pre-loaded configuration I had set on it. Could not get in past the local log in screen on the NH app.

Be sure WiFi Private Address or Random MAC Address features are disabled on Apple and Android mobile devices first:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/Nighthawk-app-not-connecting-but-Wi-Fi-works-gt-Try-T...

1. So I used a wired PC and selected the ERASE function under Admin/Backup and had the router factory reset itself. 

2. Log out and close the browser. 

3. I used the default factory WiFi SSID name (NETGEAR42) and network key seen on the sticker on the router and entered it in on my iPhone and connected to the default SSID name and PW. 

4. Opened up the NH app. App was Detecting Product for a bit. 

5. Finally displayed the white log in screen. I entered in admin and password knowing that this is the same default for using the routers web page in a browser. The app continued and began the setup wizard process. 

6. I walked thru the setup wizard process. I didn't change the SSID name or password

7. I changed the admin password to something else and simple enough to be the criteria. Entered in security questions.

8. Continued thru the setup wizard and finally, the app connected and was displaying the R7000 home page on the app.

I noticed that Armor got enabled as well and I didn't see any option to disable it, oh well, I'll let it run for a while.

NHappAfterFRSetupWithNHapp.PNG

9. After the app was connected, closed the NH app and opened it again to be sure it would re-connect. It did, however I noticed it used the Cloud to access the routers page. I selected local access and it connected fine.

10. I enabled Smart Connect using the NH app and the phone reconnected as well as the NH app.

11. I closed the app.

12. I opened up the routers web page on my wired PC and web browser (MS Edge) and went in and changed the wireless SSID name and password to something else. After the router was back to ready, I opened up the NH app and it connected fine. Again, connected to the cloud vs local. 

Not sure if this process will help others. Something to try at least. 

I'll leave my router running for a few days to check up on it and the NH app. Hopefully this will continue to work. 

If this works, Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Let us know if this works for you...

View solution in original post

Who Me Too'd this solution