Who Me Too'd this topic

iamamish
Aspirant

R6400v2 - Slowed speeds

Hi all, 

I am having an issue - I pay for 500 Mb down internet and historically have received it. Recently I noticed that I was only getting about 150 Mb down. 

After a LONG investigation involving the ISP, I learned that the issue is with my router, the R6400v2. If I connect directly to my modem, I receive the advertised speeds of 500 Mb. 

I first tried turning off my wireless radios and unplugged everything from the router, excepting my PC, yet still only had about 150 Mb down. 

I did some further research on these forums and found somebody who had a problem that sounded very similar to mine:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/R6400v2-Speed-issue/td-p/2132554

I just downgraded my firmware to the same version OP was using, and sure enough my internet speeds rebounded back to 500 Mb down. 

Is this a known issue? Is there a way to contact Netgear about this? What is the general consensus regarding the security risk of running an older firmware version? I'm assuming that if I'm running the latest Netgear firmware, that's the same version that a new unit would ship with. That has to mean that new R6400v2 routers would have the exact same issue. 

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide. For what it's worth, I'm connecting my router through a Netgear CM1000 modem. 

Who Me Too'd this topic