Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Update download is a disc image file. Don't have that capability on my computer.

llmatt123
Tutor

Update download is a disc image file. Don't have that capability on my computer.

Model: R7500|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 25

Accepted Solutions
llmatt123
Tutor

Re: Update download is a disc image file. Don't have that capability on my computer.

IT WORKED!!

Thank you all so very much for your patience and support in helping this old man.  I finally got what you were all telling me to do but could not understand and make work.  Every one of you who contributed to this post have my deepest appreciation. 

View solution in original post

Message 23 of 25

All Replies
antinode
Guru

Re: Update download is a disc image file. Don't have that capability on my computer.

> Model: R7500|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi Router

R7500 or R7500v2?  Look at the product label.  Current firmware
version?

> Update download is a disc image file. [...]

No, it's not.

> [...] Don't have that capability on my computer.

Which "that capability"?  What is your "my computer"?  Are you doing
some (secret) thing which gives you some (secret) error message?

If your problem report were any more terse, then it might be
_entirely_ useless.

"Don't have that capability" is not a useful problem description.  It
does not say what you did.  It does not say what happened when you did
it.  As usual, showing actual actions (commands) with their actual
results (error messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than
vague descriptions or interpretations.

What, exactly, are you trying to do?  Load some firmware image into
your router somehow?

The firmware image file for an R7500[v2] router has a file type of
".img", but it's not a "disc image" file; it's a firmware image file,
and the (unspecified) operating system of your (unspecified) "my
computer" does not recognize its contents when it tries to do whatever
it might normally do with a file typed as ".img", if you ask that OS to
"open" that file.

Fortunately, your (unspecified) "my computer" does not need to know
anything about this kind of ".img" file for you to load it into your
router.  In general:

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your (actual) model number,
and look for Downloads.  (For older versions, under Firmware and
Software Downloads, look for "View Previous Versions".)  Find the
kit(s).  Download the kit(s) you want.  Read the "Release Notes" file
for instructions.

Recently, Netgear has stopped including actual instructions in its
firmware "Release Notes" files, so all you may see there is a hint like:

To update your router's firmware, follow the instructions in your
      router's user manual.

In that case, visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your (actual)
model number, and look for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Look
for "firmware" and/or "update" for the details.  (Which would have been
a good first step, in any case.)

Message 2 of 25

It is not a disk image, it is an .img file.

To update your router follow the usual instructions:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

At step 8, tell it to look for your .img file.

You should also find these instructions in the manual for your R7500.

>>> R7500 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

Message 3 of 25
llmatt123
Tutor

Sorry to be so computer illiterate and leave an such a vague message.

My problem is the update file is V1.0.0.130.zip.  When I click on it, it puts the zip file in my downloads as a disc image file.  When I get to step 8, routerlogin.net says "please assign the correct file.  The file format is *.img.

My problem is I don't know how to get the zip file into an .img format so it will accept it.

Thank you,

Larry

Model: R7500|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi Router
Message 4 of 25
yddtime
Luminary

Double click on your zip file to open it. You should see the *.img file now. Drag and drop the *.img file to another folder to save an unzipped copy. Upload the *.img file from the folder where you dragged/dropped it to.

Message 5 of 25
antinode
Guru

> Sorry to be so computer illiterate and leave an such a vague message.

Answering the questions which have already been asked might be a good
way to get further.

> My problem is the update file is V1.0.0.130.zip. [...]

"R7500-V1.0.0.130.zip"?  So you have an R7500, not an R7500v2?

> [...] When I click on it, [...]

Using a web browser, looking at some netgear.com support/Downloads
page?  Or some file browser on your (unspecified) "my computer"?  Or
what?

> [...] it puts the zip file in my downloads as a disc image file. [...]

What is your (unspecified) "my computer" operating system?  Mac?
Windows?  Other?

Which web browser are you using to do the download?

What, exactly, do you find in your Downloads directory/folder?  The
".zip" archive file, or a ".img" file and a "_Release_Notes.html" file?

> [...] My problem is I don't know how to get the zip file into an .img
> format so it will accept it.

The ".zip" archive file is a package which contains the other two
files.  You need to extract those files (or, at the very least, the
".img" file) from that ".zip" archive file.  Exactly how to do that
depends on which computer operating system you're using.  Hence:

> [...] What is your "my computer"? [...]

If you were using Safari on a Mac, then I'd guess that it would
already have extracted the files from the ".zip" archive file.  But
another browser might not.

If you're using some version of Windows, and you can find the ".zip"
archive file in your File Explorer, then you might right-click on it,
and select "Extract all..." to extract the files.

Once the ".img" file has been extracted from the ".zip" archive file,
it should be possible to navigate to it from ADVANCED > Administration >
Firmware Update : Browse... in the router's management web site.

Message 6 of 25
llmatt123
Tutor

My laptop is a HP 4540-PC with 64 bit operating system.  I am using Windows 7 Professional.  My web browser is Chrome.

I tried to update my Nighthowk router's firmware using the Nighthawk app, but it said "The Nighthawk app does not support your router mode.

So I then clicked on "how do I manually upgrade my Netgear router".  First step is to go to Netgear download center.  I entered the Product Name which is R7500 (not V2).  The download option is "Firmware version 1.0.0.130.  When I click on that it immediately downloads the box in the lower left corner titled "R7500-V1.0.0.130.zip".  When I open that file it has 2 entries:  R7500-V1.0.0.130, and the release notes.  The file is a disc image file, and if I right click or left click, it opens the windows disc image burner.  I can't get the file into a usable form.

Thank you for all the help!

Message 7 of 25
schumaku
Guru

@llmatt123 wrote:

When I open that file it has 2 entries:  R7500-V1.0.0.130, and the release notes.  The file is a disc image file, and if I right click or left click, it opens the windows disc image burner.  I can't get the file into a usable form.

Nobody - not even Netgear - states you have to open the firmware image. All you have to do is extract the content of the ZIP file, either using Windows Explorer feature for compressed folders (available in Windows 7, 8.1, 10, ...), or using 3rd party Tools like WinZip.

"Using the Download Link below, download and extract the new firmware to a convenient place such as your desktop. The filename after extracting is R7500-V1.0.0.130.img"

Message 8 of 25

@llmatt123 wrote:

The file is a disc image file, and if I right click or left click, it opens the windows disc image burner. 

No it isn't. See above.

Whoever told you to "right click" the file was wrong.

The KnowledgeBase article linked above is pretty clear on the process:

To manually upgrade your router’s firmware:

1. Download the firmware for your router from the NETGEAR Download Center, save it to your desktop, and unzip the file if needed.
    Note: The correct firmware file uses an .img or .chk extension.  
  2. Using a computer that is connected to your router via an Ethernet cable (wired), launch a web browser from a computer.
    Note: Do not use a computer that is connected wirelessly to the router to upload the firmware. A wireless firmware update might corrupt the router’s firmware, rendering it unusable.
  3. Enter http://www.routerlogin.net.
  4. Enter the router user name and password.
    Note: The user name is admin and the default password is password. The user name and password are case-sensitive.
  5. Select ADVANCED > Administration.
  6. Click the Firmware Update or Router Update button.
    The button label varies by router.
  7. Click Choose File or Browse.
  8. Locate and highlight the saved firmware on your desktop and click Open > Upload.
    Note: Do not interrupt this process as it might cause corruption, which will make your router unusable.
    Your router reboots after the firmware is uploaded. If your router does not reboot, check the Router Status page to confirm whether the new firmware version uploaded.

I have added some colour coding to highlight the key bits.

Message 9 of 25
schumaku
Guru

The right button click can be used - e.g. to copy the selected file out of the ZIP archive. Just not the double click or the [Open].

Message 10 of 25
llmatt123
Tutor

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.  If I drag the folder or the file to a new location, it does not change it to a .img file.  It is a disc image file and does not change.  

Message 11 of 25
schumaku
Guru

The "folder" is a ZIP archive shown as a folder. You can drag and drop the folder - it will remain a ZIP archive. Either copy the firmware file and paste it to another location, e.g. your desktop - or follow the information in the Microsoft link I've provided above. Better ue the "Extract all" from the EXplorer menu - it comes up when accessing the ZIP archive - this will extract the archive and put the content in a real folder with the same name like the archive.

Message 12 of 25

@llmatt123 wrote:

It is a disc image file and does not change.  

What tells you that? Telling us where you are seeing that information might help us to understand what you are doing. Whatever you do DO NOT DOUBLE CLICK THE IMG FILE. The only thing that will do it so confuse your PC into trying to perform the impossible.

Have you unzipped the file?

There are several ways of doing that, see above.

You say you have Windows. (By the way, Windows 7 is old and getting dangerous to use.)

Here's what Microsoft says:

1. Locate the zipped folder that you want to unzip (extract) files or folders from.
  2. Do one of the following:
    • To unzip a single file or folder, open the zipped folder, then drag the file or folder from the zipped folder to a new location.
    • To unzip all the contents of the zipped folder, press and hold (or right-click) the folder, select Extract All, and then follow the instructions.

Do that and you get two files. One of them is R7500-V1.0.0.130.img.

THIS IS NOT AN "IMAGE" FILE.

It is a .img file. That is the new firmware.

Your next task is to upload that to the router using the instructions that have appeared here several times.

Message 13 of 25
antinode
Guru

> [...] find the ".zip" archive file in your File Explorer, then you
> might right-click on it, and select "Extract all..." to extract the
> files.

Read it again.  Right-click on the ".zip" archive file, _not_ on the
".img" file.

> Whoever told you to "right click" the file was wrong.

Not really.  Read it again.  No one said to "right click" on the
".img" file.

> I don't know what I'm doing wrong. [...]

You're not following the instructions.

> [...] It is a disc image file and does not change.

No.  It's a file with a type of ".img".  That's not the same thing.

> No, it's not.

Still true.

There are multiple ways to do this wrong, and you seem to have tried
almost all of them.  It might help if you read and followed the
instructions already provided, and followed them as-written, instead of
doing different things which no one has actually suggested.

Message 14 of 25
yddtime
Luminary

@llmatt123 wrote:

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.  If I drag the folder or the file to a new location, it does not change it to a .img file.  It is a disc image file and does not change.  

Perhaps if you read and answer some of the questions above you will realize what you are doing wrong.

Message 15 of 25
James721
Luminary

@antinode.  Your constant quoting of posts and your atittude sucks. It's hard to read and is annoying for the poster and readers. Give it a break and just try and answer the question.  If not then get lost from these Forums. We don't need you.   James !

Message 16 of 25
myersw
Master

@James721 Totally agree with your thoughts. 

Message 17 of 25
antinode
Guru

> [...] Your constant quoting of posts and your atittude [...]

Quoting excerpts of previous posts provides context.  I don't know
what you mean by "atittude".  Perhaps it would be clearer if you cited
some actual instances, instead of making vague accusations.

> [...] try and answer the question.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1802222#M139259

Please remind me.  What was _your_ contribution to the actual problem
at hand?

> NG R7800. Voxel- 1.0.2.69SF. AT&T Fiber 300/300

What I find annoying, and distracting, is when people post details of
their own equipment which are entirely irrelevant to the current topic
of discussion.

> Totally agree with your thoughts.

Naturally.  I'd expect no more.

Message 18 of 25

@James721 wrote:

Your constant quoting of posts and your atittude sucks. It's hard to read and is annoying for the poster and readers.

Quoting is fine, but it needs to be done in a readable way. (See above.)

The problem is all those chevrons and wonky line breaks. Heaven only knows what this person is working on that doesn't make that blindingly obvious on their screen.

Message 19 of 25
llmatt123
Tutor

Hi Netgear Community.  Sorry for the delay in my response.  I've been out of town for the last week and away from my Netgear equipment.

Per the instructions you forwarded me, I have drug the folder to my desktop, drug the file to my desktop and used extract all to attempt to move and open the zip file.

In no case did it change the file to an .img file.  The file lists the type as a disc image file, and even shows a small picture of a disc image.  Moving it does not change it to a usable file for me.  (I tried to include the downloaded zip folder to this note, but it would not let me include it to this text.)

Message 20 of 25
schumaku
Guru

This file is the .img file - if your Windows Explorer isn't configured to show extensions you will just see the misleading disk image icon.
Message 21 of 25
yddtime
Luminary

@llmatt123 wrote:

Per the instructions you forwarded me, I have drug the folder to my desktop, drug the file to my desktop and used extract all to attempt to move and open the zip file.

In no case did it change the file to an .img file.  The file lists the type as a disc image file, and even shows a small picture of a disc image.

Ignore what Windows Explorer shows as the file type. Windows is just going by the hidden file extension and it's irrelevant for what you are doing. As @schumaku said, you have not changed the Windows Explorer setting to show the file extensions so you will not see .IMG as part of the filename. The reason it shows as a disk image file is because Windows sees the .IMG eventhough it's not showing it to you. For some idiotic reason Microsoft has chosen to default this setting to hide file extensions. 

Just put the file you think is the disk image file in a known folder (not the zip folder) and go to that folder when you need to upload the file from the router web page. Select the disk image file even though you don't see the .IMG extension. The filename passed to the upload will include the .IMG eventhough you don't see it.

@llmatt123 wrote:

Moving it does not change it to a usable file for me.

What do you consider "usable". You only need to select it when you upload. In that sense if you can select it then you are using it.

Message 22 of 25
llmatt123
Tutor

IT WORKED!!

Thank you all so very much for your patience and support in helping this old man.  I finally got what you were all telling me to do but could not understand and make work.  Every one of you who contributed to this post have my deepest appreciation. 

Message 23 of 25
yddtime
Luminary

Bottom line is you got it working so it's all good.

Let's blame Microsoft for the misunderstanding. Smiley Happy

Message 24 of 25
myersw
Master

Yes Microsoft in their infinite wisdom decided we, mere mortals, did not need to see the file extension. Here is how to make it show up in the future. 

https://www.howtogeek.com/205086/beginner-how-to-make-windows-show-file-extensions/

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7