× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Access Point WAX214v2

Wizbon
Aspirant

Access Point WAX214v2

Hi All,

I installed the "Essentials WiFi 6 AX1800 Access Point WAX214v2" AP recently, it hasnt been working as well as i was expecting it to since the installation (installation itself was smooth and easy).

My 2 issues are drops outs and inability to install the latest firmware (currently running Firmware Version V1.0.2.3), it just comes up with "Firmware upgrade is failed for unexpected reasons. Please make sure your firmware is valid." when i download and try install it, the automated firmaware updater doesnt seem to find a new version. 

I know my connection drops out because i can see my email client doesnt receive emails when im connected to the AP, but if i connect diretly to the router's Wifi it work straight away. My smart home devices stop working if they're streaming etc. Even Microsoft Teams doesnt connect through the AP, but works fine if the AP is off and the connection to the router is used. 

I have tried turning the Wifi off n the router so only the AP was used but this didnt help at all. I changed channels of the AP but this didnt help either. 

Any help at this point will be appreciated, before i send it back and get another AP. 

Thank you

Unit info: 

Current Firmware Version: V1.0.2.3
Device Version: V1.0

Wireless LAN Information - 2.4GHz
Wireless Mode802.11 ax/n/g/b
Channel Bandwidth20 MHz
Channel2.452 GHz (Channel 9)
Wireless LAN Information - 5GHz
Wireless Mode802.11 ax/ac/n/a
Channel Bandwidth40 MHz
Channel5.200 GHz (Channel 40)
Message 1 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Re: Access Point WAX214v2

1.0.2.3 is current for the WAX214v2 https://www.netgear.com/support/product/wax214v2#download 

2.1.1.3 is current for the WAX214 (earlier hardware version) https://www.netgear.com/support/product/wax214#download 

Firmware is not freely moveable.

On the 2.4 GHz band, operating mutliple access points is difficult, especially when considering the total bandwith on 11 channels (in the FCC regulatiory) resp. 13 channnels are havily overlapping there are just about three independant chanels available 3* 20 MHz - especially when trying to enforce 40 MHz on a single AP.

Same technology on any AP, and brand, and model.

Attempting to operate the WAX214v2 and the router at the same or similar position?

Configured the WAC214v2 to the same SSID and security as your other router WiFi?

Message 2 of 6
Wizbon
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply. 

point taken about the firmware, will stop trying to update it 🙂

Both Wifi signals operate under the same SSID (see images below, i'm using "Vodafone-Wifi") but as far as i can see, there are no conflicts. Just the AP is very sluggish and takes a while to work (like i said emails is just an example, they dont seem to come through as fast as 5G or using the router's wifi). Screenshot_20240129_142831_Wifi Analyzer.jpgScreenshot_20240129_142900_Wifi Analyzer.jpg

Message 3 of 6
BrianL
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Wizbon,

Good day!

Based on the product detail information you shared the HW version is 1. So I guess, you can update the Firmware of the unit to the latest (manually), just ensure that the downloaded file has been unzipped or extracted, and use the .tar file for the said upgrade process. 

If you are getting dropouts, can you share the LEDs of the AP, whether is it locally managed /or Insight, the placement, and the LAN connection setup?

Kind regards,

Message 4 of 6
Wizbon
Aspirant

I decided to cut my losses and send the unit back. the Wifi was too flakey for me and caused me too many problems. 

Message 5 of 6
BrianL
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Wizbon,

I apologize if we were not able to resolve this issue for you. I hope you will still consider NETGEAR products in the future.

Kind regards.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements