× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Devices not connecting to closest AP

deg-net
Aspirant

Devices not connecting to closest AP

I have deployed 4 WAX610 access points in my building. The routers are dispersed vertically and horizontally across three stories to provide good coverage for the entire site.

I've noticed lately that devices are not connecting to the AP that is closest to them. Some devices connect to APs that are so far away they have a signal strength of -82 DB (or worse!). I'm seeing this issue on the 2.4ghz band with devices in fixed locations (they are never moved).

Is there any way to have an AP drop these low-signal connections so the devices find a better AP? Is there any way to bind a device to a preferred AP?

I do have load balancing enabled, but changing the setting seems to have no effect.

degnet_0-1707858574841.png

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Message 1 of 6
Pramendra
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Devices not connecting to closest AP

Hi @deg-net 

Please try setting the RSSI value in load balancing configuration to 25 or so. Also try setting the density level to 2 or 3 in "Advance Rate Selection" configuration on SSID level (Wireless => Settings => Client SSID => Advance Rate Selection => Set Minimum Rate Controls) to reduce the effective cell size.

Pramendra_0-1707890256914.png

Message 2 of 6
deg-net
Aspirant

I made the suggested changes...they don't seem to have any effect.

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

What kind of 2.4 GHz devices are you talking about here? Many IoT are so **** ignoring almost any "advise", and stick with the first AP they suceed associateîng to.

Message 4 of 6
deg-net
Aspirant

The worst offender is a TP Link Kasa switch.

Message 5 of 6
floatingkiwi
Aspirant

What about using "Force sticky client to disassociate"?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements