× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: Multiple APs broadcasting the same SSID twice

Multiple APs broadcasting the same SSID twice

Hi, Support.

I have a an issue where I have two separate APs (A WAX214 and a WAX214v2) broadcasting the same SSID but my devices are seeing the SSID twice. The channels are different on both APs.

Does anyone have a solution for this please? Under normal circumstances you should only see one SSID and then the devices choose the AP based on distance and signal strength etc, at least this is what happens with other vendors I've used in the past.

jamesstoner_0-1690286861945.png

As per the image above, the two SSIDs are there.

Is there a setting I've missed when configuring the SSID's? I can provide screenshots of this if required.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

James Stoner.

Message 1 of 23
schumaku
Guru

Hello James,

Ensure not just the SSID are the same on both APs, and also the security settings and the PSK.

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 2 of 23

Hi, Kurt.

I can confirm all security settings are the same on both APs.

Please see images below: 

AP 214

jamesstoner_0-1690291773784.png

AP214v2

jamesstoner_1-1690291822988.png

The passphrase's are identical but not shown due to obvious reasons.

Is there anything else I have missed?

Thank you,

James Stoner

Message 3 of 23
schumaku
Guru

Operating two WAX214 (in two variants, WAX214, on v2.1.1.3 and WAX214v2, on v1.0.2.3) with one same SSID and similar mixed WPA2 and WPA3 PSKs for other testing purposes. Have not observed any double AP announcements, neither on various decent Android nor on iOS mobiles, nor on Windows, nor on Mac OS clients.  

Curious, what mobile device model and OS version we're facing in your test case.

Message 4 of 23

Hi,

It seems this is not an issue on my IOS / Android devices, but is an issue on my Windows laptop. 

Thanks for your assistance. I will look into this separately and provide a resolution if I find one, it possibly just needs a reboot (haha).

Thank you,

James Stoner

Message 5 of 23
schumaku
Guru

@jamesstoner wrote:

It seems this is not an issue on my IOS / Android devices, but is an issue on my Windows laptop. 

Oh, had missed this conclusion. My eye isn't adopted to the Windows tablet view.

What Wi-Fi adapter is installed in your Windows system, and which driver version is active? In case it's an Intel adapter, you might find the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant useful.

Message 6 of 23

Hi,

The laptop is using an intel adapter version 22.40.0.7, however i don't think this is the issue.

It turns out this is still an issue on other devices. The attached image is from a Fire TV Stick which clearly shows the same SSID broadcasting twice.

My IOS device is hit and miss with it, where it will show sometimes, not always. 

On my windows laptop, i have used cmd to show available networks and get the following output: 

C:\Users\JamesStoner>netsh wlan show network

Interface name : WiFi
There are 7 networks currently visible.

SSID 2 : 285A Main
Network type : Infrastructure
Authentication : WPA3-Personal
Encryption : CCMP

SSID 6 : 285A Main
Network type : Infrastructure
Authentication : WPA3-Personal
Encryption : CCMP

NOTE: Output omitted for brevity. 

It shows one of the SSIDs with an extra A with a line above it believe this is the probably the issue.

Question is, how do I resolve this?

Thank you,

James Stoner

Message 7 of 23
schumaku
Guru

Hard to deny it's not there my friend.

I would suggest to change the network name on both APs again and see if the obscure trailing character is retained.

Worst case, do a factory reset of both APs.

Message 8 of 23
BasuKhodanapur
Apprentice

Hi @jamesstoner 

I tried to recreate in my testbed , We are not seeing multiple ssid's of the same name and same configurations ,  My laptop seeing only one SSID 

Please refer screenshots, I have configured 2 SSID's in 2 different AP's i.e one in WAX214 and another one in WAX610. I can see only one SSID of same type.

Same insider tool will display all the SSID's with based on mac addresses 

Looks like client issue, please double check with other clients .

BasuKhodanapur_0-1690363204869.png

Message 9 of 23

HI, 

I have tried a factory reset on both APs and the rouge character still remains.

I have also tried setting up another SSID and it still remains.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you,

James Stoner

Message 10 of 23

Hi, 

Thanks for the update.

I have lowered the power output on the 2nd AP so clients now only see one SSID when out of range of the other, however when i move closer to the 2nd AP they don't 'roam' as the configured SSID on the 2nd AP appears the same but has that invisible end character which is causing it to appear as two separate SSIDs.

This is very frustrating. I have factory reset both APs to no avail.

Has anyone seen this issue before? Surly this is not a one off.

Thank you,

James Stoner

Message 11 of 23

Hi, 

As per my previous update, please see screenshot of two different SSIDs broadcasting from both AP's with the rouge character on the end of the 2nd SSID:

jamesstoner_0-1690551442738.pngjamesstoner_1-1690551483506.png

As a note I am using WPA2/WPA3-Personal security on both SSIDs.

Thank you,

James Stoner.

Message 12 of 23

Hi, 

I believe I have figured out the issue here, however I will need some assistance in resolving it please.

It seems if i create an SSID on both APs and disable Vlan Isolation, then clients only see one SSID. 

However, if I create an SSID on both APs and enable Vlan Isolation, then clients see the same SSID twice. Enabling vlan isolation seems to add the rouge Â character in the middle of the SSID.

Can Netgear recommend a fix for this? 

Thank you,

James Stoner

Message 13 of 23
schumaku
Guru

Interesting find ... on some trial and error, I have managed something similar (but different) cause

SSID 9 : WAX214v2 Guest
Netzwerktyp : Infrastruktur
Authentifizierung : OWE
Verschlüsselung : CCMP

SSID 10 : WAX214v2
Authentifizierung : WPA2-Personal

In my test case, it happened only on the WAX214v2, on v1.0.2.2

VLAN ID 1 disabed - or default.PNGerror SSID on WAX214v2 Guest.PNG

Let's see who will jump on this interesting bug. Thank you @jamesstoner James to be picky!

Have you figured which of the two models is affected in your case?

Message 14 of 23
schumaku
Guru

In my test case, the Guest SSID OWE VLAN 250 is not visible (or applied) n the main SSID list:

VLAN ID 250 enabled or not.PNGOWE Guest no VLAN visible on main.PNG 

Message 15 of 23

Hi, 

It sounds like netgear needs to release a firmware update to resolve this.

Not sure if i have tagged the correct account for Netgear, but please can anyone tag them if its wrong so they have visibility of this? 

Thank you,

James Stoner 

Message 16 of 23
JulienR
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @jamesstoner,

I'll get a member of our support team to connect with you and log a case with all the information you provided in this post.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Julien R.

Message 17 of 23
ksullivan331
Aspirant

I am experiencing the same issue. I have 4 WAX214 (not V2) broadcasting the same SSID and password, all settings the same with no issue. i just purchased a 5th WAX214 only to find its a new hardware version WAX214v2, I configure the AP to be exactly like the others, and it broadcasts a 2nd SSID of the same exact network. What is the fix for this? all 4 never had an issue but this new hardware is throwing this curveball. @JulienR @schumaku @jamesstoner

Thank you in advanced. 

Message 18 of 23

Hi, ksullivan331. 

Netgear have released a beta firmware to fix this issue. 

Once approved I'm sure it will be released to public. 

Thank you,

James Stoner

Message 19 of 23
ksullivan331
Aspirant

Thanks for the follow up and clarification. Did they release the beta firmware to you by chance? If not, I’ll just have to wait when it’s released like the rest of us!

Also just as a note, my 4 existing WAX214’s (non V2 hardware) are on Firmware 2.1.1.3
Message 20 of 23
schumaku
Guru

Do you get the obvious "double" entries (with some "false" chars when calling netsh wlan show network? In my test environment, only the VAX214v2 is affected:

C:\> netsh wlan show network

SSID 2 : WAX214 Multi
Authentifizierung : WPA3-Personal

SSID 3 : WAX214 Guest

SSID 12 : WAX214v2 InOne

SSID 13 : WAX214 InOne

SSID 14 : WAX214v2 Guest

SSID 15 : WAX214 Test

SSID 17 : WAX214v2

Message 21 of 23

Hi, ksullivan331. 

They released it to me but Its not my place to state whether I'm allowed to release it to a public forum, before its released for public use.

I suppose if netgear can clarify and provide the link in this thread, that would be better than me providing it.

Thank you,

James Stoner

Message 22 of 23
schumaku
Guru

@ksullivan331 wrote:

I am experiencing the same issue. I have 4 WAX214 (not V2) broadcasting the same SSID and password, all settings the same with no issue. i just purchased a 5th WAX214 only to find its a new hardware version WAX214v2, I configure the AP to be exactly like the others, and it broadcasts a 2nd SSID of the same exact network. 

Let's re-iterate this a little bit. The four WAX214 (not V2) broadcasting the same SSID and password, all settings the same with no issue - as expected.

Adding the WAC214v2 again configured to the same SSID and password seems to duplicate the SSID - invisible to most wireless clients however, not making a difference - with some additional bits in the SSID, probably in the area of some space character in the ESSID.

Does not appear to be an issue on the non-V2 version IMHO.

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements