× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Netgear WAX 620 Access Point

Batman-15
Tutor

Netgear WAX 620 Access Point

Good evening:

I just installed on my Netgear WAX 620 Access point. Is there a way for me to extend the access points signal using my RAXE 300 router?

Any and Help suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 8

Re: Netgear WAX 620 Access Point

@Batman-15 wrote:

Is there a way for me to extend the access points signal using my RAXE 300 router?

What does that mean?

You want to get wifi from the RAXE300 and spread it around the place?

That is what the WAX620 is designed to do just that.

So, how did you install the Access point?

Message 2 of 8
Batman-15
Tutor

I want to extend the access points signal.

Message 3 of 8

@Batman-15 wrote:

I want to extend the access points signal.

I assume that you have followed the instructions and set up the WAX620. The device is an access point. You wire it to your router.

The wifi signal from the WAX620 is limited to the power output allowed. To get it to reach  a distant area, move it nearer to the "dead zone".

The best location is usually about half way between the router and the place where you want the wifi.

One way to connect an AP to a router is to use a "fake network" link in the shape of Powerline Ethernet.

This turns your mains circuit into an ethernet network.

Depending on which model WAX620 you have, you can use Power over Ethernet (PoE), but that still needs a wired link back to the router.

I wonder if you bought the wrong device. The usual way to extend a network is with a wifi repeater rather than an AP. Many repeaters can do AP, but not all APs can do repeater.

Message 4 of 8
Batman-15
Tutor

Thank you for your reply. Perhaps a little more detail will help you understand what I am trying to accomplish. I have purchased a firewalla purple router. I have connected my WAN line to its WAN port. I have connected the Firewallas LAN port to a Netgear GS308T managed switch. I have connected the Netgear WAX 620 AP to port 1 of the switch. All I'm asking is can I use the RAXE 300 router to extend the access points range and if so what are the steps I need to execute to accomplish this.

Thanks again for your patience and help!

Message 5 of 8

@Batman-15 wrote:

Thank you for your reply. Perhaps a little more detail will help you understand what I am trying to accomplish. I have purchased a firewalla purple router. I have connected my WAN line to its WAN port. I have connected the Firewallas LAN port to a Netgear GS308T managed switch. I have connected the Netgear WAX 620 AP to port 1 of the switch. All I'm asking is can I use the RAXE 300 router to extend the access points range and if so what are the steps I need to execute to accomplish this.

Thanks again for your patience and help!

I thought we were talking about the WAX620.

There is nothing to stop you from using the RAXE300 as an access point, wired back to your switch or to the main router.

Dig out its manual and follow the bit Set up the router as a WiFi access point. Should be dead easy.

Most routers have an AP mode.

Be warned that AP mode has its drawbacks.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

But you already have a router on your network.

I know nothing about the Purple Router, so have no idea what it will do for you.

Message 6 of 8
Batman-15
Tutor

Thank you so much for your response! I was hoping I could set it up as a wireless access point back to my wired access point without having to run an ethernet cable to it. I guess I'm out of luck.

Message 7 of 8

@Batman-15 wrote:

I was hoping I could set it up as a wireless access point back to my wired access point without having to run an ethernet cable to it. I guess I'm out of luck.

That seems to be a dying feature in Netgear routers.

You could still try Powerline Ethernet as an ersatz Ethernet. Could be cheaper than buying a purpose built repeater. After all the RAXE300 won't have been cheap.

Hang on, the manual for the RAXE300 says Set up the router in bridge mode. Did you check that?

The trouble is that Netgear, and others, use "bridge mode" to mean different things, depending on the context. (It also uses the term "WDS" to describe some types of wifi repeating.)

You have nothing to lose by trying it.

The RAXE is a relatively new device, so there hasn't been much chat about it around here. This is the first time I've seen any talk of it.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements