× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAX214 - Connect Scanner Using WPS

TripleJumper
Initiate

WAX214 - Connect Scanner Using WPS

Hi!  Newbie problem:

Just bought a Brother DS-940DW wireless document scanner and would like to connect it to the home LAN via the WAX214 access point so that all computers can use it via the network.  (We actually have 2 WAX214's in different parts of the house with the same SSID and password so that devices can connect to the stronger signal).

The scanner's instructions talk about pressing the WPS button to connect.  But the WAX214 has no WPs button.  I was hoping that this could be achieved via the web interface instead, but it doesn't look like it.

As a workaround, I have enabled the wireless on the Zyxel fibre modem/router and connected the scanner to that using the WPS feature, and it seems to work.

However, I don't want to enable the wireless on the router in the long term.

The scanner has its own SSID and password for connecting to things like tablets or cell phones but I can't see how that can be used?

Can anyone suggest a workaround?  For example, what would happen if I configured the wireless on the Zyxel router to have the same SSID and password as the Netgear access points - would that mess up my network?  If not, could I reconfigure the scanner using WPS with the router's new SSID, then switch off the wireless on the router?

I'll try phoning Brother when their support desk opens, but thought I would try Netgear community first since there are some big brains out there!

Cheers

John

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
TripleJumper
Initiate

Re: WAX214 - Connect Scanner Using WPS

Thanks for the reply.

I resolved it eventually by using the "Machine Settings", available from either "Brother Utilities" or from "Brother iPrint&Scan".  This brings up a web browser interface to the scanner itself.  Log in using the password on the bottom of the scanner, then select the Network tab, Wireless sub-tab and Wireless (Personal) menu option.  On this screen the SSID and Passphrase can be manually entered.

The reason for my initial confusion was that clicking on Machine Settings did nothing for me.  This turned out to be a Windows 10 glitch - web pages were not opening from email links either.  So I went into Settings, reassigned my default browser and rebooted; then I was able to access Machine Settings.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Consult your Brother DS-940DW for Wi-Fi Infrastructure mode configuration, manually add the network name SSID and the wireless key (wireless PSK password).

Start from https.//support.brother.com/ of you don't know how to access your device Web UI.

This should not require any assistance, neither from the Brother nor or Netgear help desk 8-)

To my knowledge, there is no virtual WPS Button on the WAX214 (or any other Business Wireless Access Point). I'll request a moderator moving your post to the correct Business Wireless community section.

Brother Wi-Fi Infrastructure Mode.PNG 

Message 2 of 3
TripleJumper
Initiate

Thanks for the reply.

I resolved it eventually by using the "Machine Settings", available from either "Brother Utilities" or from "Brother iPrint&Scan".  This brings up a web browser interface to the scanner itself.  Log in using the password on the bottom of the scanner, then select the Network tab, Wireless sub-tab and Wireless (Personal) menu option.  On this screen the SSID and Passphrase can be manually entered.

The reason for my initial confusion was that clicking on Machine Settings did nothing for me.  This turned out to be a Windows 10 glitch - web pages were not opening from email links either.  So I went into Settings, reassigned my default browser and rebooted; then I was able to access Machine Settings.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements