× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAX218 - AX3600 WiFi 6 Dual Band PoE+ Wireless Access Point going missing randomly.

menkelis
Tutor

WAX218 - AX3600 WiFi 6 Dual Band PoE+ Wireless Access Point going missing randomly.

Just received last Friday my WAX218 - AX3600 WiFi 6 Dual Band PoE+ Wireless Access Point, and  updated firmware to 1.0.2.3.

On Sunday, I noticed that I was loosing WiFi on my Ipad and Iphone randomly

and I would have to re-connect to WiFi in the settings pannel.

Checking status LED's, all looked normal. I changed from 'WPA2-Personal'

to 'Mixed-Personal' (WPA2+WPA3) and after the save/restart have not seen the WiFi

droup.

Log show repeating error message:

WAX218 kern.err kernel: [250315.768167] wlan: [18139:I:ANY] wlan_cfg80211_get_wificonfiguration: 7927: wlan_cfg80211_get_wificonfiguration: Unsuported Genric command: 301

Message 1 of 24
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Re: WAX218 - AX3600 WiFi 6 Dual Band PoE+ Wireless Access Point going missing randomly.

Hi @menkelis 

What is the iOS version on your devices? 14.5?

Are you able to hit this issue consistently with 'WPA2-Personal' or it is random?

Do you have the complete syslogs for us?

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 2 of 24
menkelis
Tutor

What is the iOS version on your devices? 14.5?  latest as of yesterday: 14.4.1

Are you able to hit this issue consistently with 'WPA2-Personal' or it is random? Both WPA2-Personal and WPA3-Personal, at random. It happened again yesterday afternoon with YouTube reporting no connection and then a few minutes  restored.

The WiFi state icon on screen also reflects that no WIFi in sync with the messages from YouTube App.

Do you have the complete syslogs for us?

I do, not able to attach to these messages.

Message 3 of 24
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

@menkelis  Use google/one drive to upload your AP confirg and logs. Send me link via PM.

Message 4 of 24
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @menkelis 

Could you please confirm on the power source ? 

WAX218 should use 48V DC IEEE 802.at PoE in; or 48V passive PoE in.

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 5 of 24
menkelis
Tutor

Cisco WS-C3560-X-24P

PoE: On(15.4W Used)
Message 6 of 24
menkelis
Tutor

If not clear, my POE power source is the Cisco switch.

Message 7 of 24
schumaku
Guru

A little bit confused here. An idle WAX218 (or it's coming up WAX6xx 4x4 variant) will operate idle in the area of about 11..12 W on a 2.5G Ethernet link. When fully in use, the used power will go up beyond these 15.4 W, effectively requiring more for full capabilities with 802.11at (PoE+) for full performance. ... this looks to me like the 15.4 W is max class 3 802.3af number, so the negotiation (or the switch config) might not allow negotiate to 802.3af class 4.

Message 8 of 24
menkelis
Tutor

This Cisco switch has Cisco PoE+ with 30W power on all ports.

I only have one device, the WAX218 using POE.

I will check configuration of switch port to make sure that there is no power limit set.

Message 9 of 24
schumaku
Guru

Dig into the effective details on how the PoE is negotiated - alone the fact that is "can" isn't sufficient ... afraid, to far away from Cisco's PoE s can't help.

Message 10 of 24
menkelis
Tutor

The only POE configuration is "auto" or "never".

For testing I connected the WAX218 to an external POE 802.3af injector (30W@54V)

and will observe over the weekend.  Yesterday the WiFi network drops we're between 4 to 10 minutes apart , lasting for about five to eight seconds each

Message 11 of 24
schumaku
Guru

@menkelis wrote:
The only POE configuration is "auto" or "never".

The idea was to look for.PoE monitoring and status information CLI.

@menkelis wrote:
For testing I connected the WAX218 to an external POE 802.3af injector (30W@54V)

Always funny what marketeers or some vendors state. The continuous PoE power must be limited to something slightly above the 15.4W on a 802.3af PSE. from wally brain the max power you can ever see on a 802.3af system is the inrush current of 400 mA - allowed only for 50 ms. These specs don't make any sense I'm afraid.
Message 12 of 24
menkelis
Tutor

So my I-Pad was dropping off the network but my I-Phone was not seeing any loss of signal.

I told the I-Pad to forget my network, and rebooted, then added my network back.

So far I am not dropping network on I-Pad.

Message 13 of 24
menkelis
Tutor

Switching back to the Cisco for POE source.

So far after resetting my I-Pad it seems stable.

Message 14 of 24
menkelis
Tutor

So it looks like the I-Pad doesn't like taking too the WAX218.

Lots of drops, while the I-Phone is not seeing problems.

Next test I am doing is to point my I-Pad to my other WIFI network 

and testing it out.

Message 15 of 24
schumaku
Guru

Would you mind to tell us what iPad model - there had been and are many - you experience a problem with the WAX218 connection?

Message 16 of 24
menkelis
Tutor

I-Pad model: MR7F2LL/A  iPad (6th generation)

Software version: 14.4.1

Message 17 of 24
menkelis
Tutor

I am suspecting the I-Pad is having an issue, as I am seeing WiFi drops even after switching to my other network.

Message 18 of 24
menkelis
Tutor

I just bought a IPad Pro 2020, and the same constant drop of WiFi still happening.

it looks like the AP is not compatible with the current software.

Message 19 of 24
menkelis
Tutor

Last Friday I made a small change to the WiFi setting for my SID, setting "Band Stearing" to "DISABLED" and have not had a single drop off on my IPad since.

Message 20 of 24
schumaku
Guru

@menkelis wrote:

Last Friday I made a small change to the WiFi setting for my SID, setting "Band Stearing" to "DISABLED" and have not had a single drop off on my IPad since.

If you make distance between the WAX218 and the iPad so 5 GHz goes out of range, is the iPad able to connect using the 2.4 GHz band?

Message 21 of 24
menkelis
Tutor

Not sure, as I have only used IPAD in home, both upstairs (where wax218 is) and downstairs.

When I did my testing I created two SID's, one with "band stearing" enabled, the other without.

my IPHONE 7 worked on ether SID just fine, but the IPad's  both failed when using the SID with "band stearing" enabled.

The the specs for the IPhone for WiFi said that it used ether 2.5 or 5 depending on signals 

and the IPAD specs mentioned that they used both bands simultaneously, if I read correctly.

Message 22 of 24
schumaku
Guru

@menkelis wrote:

...and the IPAD specs mentioned that they used both bands simultaneously, if I read correctly.

Very unlikely.

Message 23 of 24
menkelis
Tutor

Specs from Apple website for IPad Pro:

802.11ax Wi-Fi 6; simultaneous dual band (2.4GHz and 5GHz); HT80 with MIMO
     Bluetooth 5.0 technology

Maybe I misunderstood what they mean by "simultaneous" dual band.

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements