× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAX218 VLAN setup

Arthur33
Tutor

WAX218 VLAN setup

Hello

I just purchased a WAX218 to replace an old EX6150 and get Wifi6 and VLAN management.

I currently have two VLANs configured and I purchased this WAX218 because as I understood it is able to manage VLANs.

I've configured two SSIDs, the main one, without VLAN and a second SSID on the VLAN 10.

Now the problem is that the devices connected to this second SSID are not getting any IP.

When I tick the "Guest" option it works but it is not what I want to do.

Can you help me and tell what I've done wrong ?

Attached the wifi settings for my Wifi_guest SSID.

Thanks a lot for your help

Best regards

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Arthur33
Tutor

Re: WAX218 VLAN setup

Sometimes we are looking in the wrong direction. 😅

My routeur ports are numbered in the inverted way in freshtomato so I set the VLAN on the wrong port.

Now the VLAN config is working correctly and the devices connected to it have an IP and connect to internet.

I hope my mistake will help someone... 😉

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
Arthur33
Tutor

I need to add some details to explain better my case.

Main routeur/switch : Netgear R7000 running freshtomato.

VLAN 10 configued for guest and for all the devices I don't trust.

WAX218 connected to port 2 of the R7000

Traffic tagged on port 2 and VLAN 1 and 10 assiated to it.

Same config on port 3 on which a small managed switch is plugged and split VLAN on some of it's ports and it works perfectly, assuming my VLAN config on the R7000 is correct.

I'm expecting the WAX218 to associate the Wifi_guest SSID to this VLAN 10 to isolate all the devices connected to it to access my main network while being able to access internet, but no device is able to connect to this SSID (no IP provided).

Thanks and don't hesitate to tell me if I'm not clear 😉

Regards

Message 2 of 3
Arthur33
Tutor

Sometimes we are looking in the wrong direction. 😅

My routeur ports are numbered in the inverted way in freshtomato so I set the VLAN on the wrong port.

Now the VLAN config is working correctly and the devices connected to it have an IP and connect to internet.

I hope my mistake will help someone... 😉

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements