× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAX220 new set up - password incorrect issue...it's not wrong password

Jashby90
Tutor

WAX220 new set up - password incorrect issue...it's not wrong password

I have just got WAX 220. Connected via ethernet to by NetGear unmanaged 24 port switch. which is connected to my existing router (SKY - for now!)

Easily set up the new password and network name through the config on management wifi.

Waited several minutes (now hours) and every time I try to connect to the new wifi network it says incorred password which it isn't as a took screenshot and have entered multiple times.

Did a firmware update to latest version.

Haven't done a reset yet but wondering if I am missing something or have a compatibility issue downstream with Sky but I can't see much online about it for AP's.

Message 1 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Re: WAX220 new set up - password incorrect issue...it's not wrong password

Hi @Jashby90 

Haven't mixed-up e.g. the admin(istration) login password, the management interface wireless SSID password/passphrase (which does time-out after about 15 minutes), and one of the up to four wireless SSIDs and the related passphrase somehow?

Have set the expected security like WPA2-Personal, WPA3-Personal, or some mixed mode with WPA2-/WPA3-Personal? 

Message 2 of 8
Nivedita
NETGEAR Expert

Hi,

Please try to use the right password.

There are three different passwords.

1. WiFi Password for connecting to Management/CONFIG-ONLY SSID (This will be printed on the hardware label)

2. AP login Password (Which you would have set during the Initial setup)

3. First SSID (Network name) Password (Which you would have set during the Initial setup)

You can check the configured SSID password in the AP GUI page also.

Thank you!

Message 3 of 8
Jashby90
Tutor

I will triple check again but definitely putting in the newly created network password. I screenshotted for reference. See below.
Message 4 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Was this wireless connection (on the client) configured from scratch, or had used the same SSID before deploying the WAX220? For example if you had used the "XX Whatever" SSID before, but always on WPA2-PSK (WPA2-Personal), and using WPA3-Personal or WPA2/WPA3-Personal, it's very likely the client does refuse to connect with a kind of wrong password message. In that case forget (remove, drop, ... the wireless connection from all clients, let them search for the WiFi again, and enter the passphrase again to connect.

Message 5 of 8
Nivedita
NETGEAR Expert

Hi,

If you are sure with the configured password and still facing the issue, then as a quick workaround could you please try changing the password from AP GUI for your 'JA OFFICE' network name and recheck?.

Thank you.

Message 6 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@schumaku wrote:

Was this wireless connection (on the client) configured from scratch, or had used the same SSID before deploying the WAX220? For example if you had used the "XX Whatever" SSID before, but always on WPA2-PSK (WPA2-Personal), and using WPA3-Personal or WPA2/WPA3-Personal, it's very likely the client does refuse to connect with a kind of wrong password message. In that case forget (remove, drop, ... the wireless connection from all clients, let them search for the WiFi again, and enter the passphrase again to connect.

Key reason for this is the mandatory PMF frames, which must be enabled when WPA3 is operated btw.

Message 7 of 8
Jashby90
Tutor

Did a reset, same set up as before and it is working....cheers all

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements