× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

WAX630 Wake on Lan

Brian86
Tutor

WAX630 Wake on Lan

I recently upgraded the APs on my network using the WAX630 and I am now having a problem with Wake On Lan (WOL) messages reaching the Wi-Fi attached printer.  The printer works via Wi-Fi after it reboots - it will print documents from my computer.  However after the printer goes to sleep it can't be woken up by WOL requests - printing from the same computer that worked before no longer works.  This was not a problem before I changed the APs.

I found a reference on this forum stating that the WAX202 doesn't support WOL requests (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Business-Wireless/WAX202-Wake-on-Lan/td-p/2214925)

Does anyone know if the WAX630 supports WOL requests?

Thanks
Brian

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: WAX630 Wake on Lan

@Brian86

Welcome to the Community!

WAX630 does not support Wake On LAN (WoL). 

HTH

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Brian86

Welcome to the Community!

WAX630 does not support Wake On LAN (WoL). 

HTH

Message 2 of 5
Brian86
Tutor

@Marc_V , thanks for the information.

Was there a way I could have known that ahead of time?  I don't see anything about it in the user manual.

Brian

Message 3 of 5
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Brian86

Have you checked the Product data sheet before buying? or the seller did not provide info? Since it is not supported it will not be available on the manual.

HTH

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Red herring in action here..

Wireless access points don't show WoL as a feature on a spec sheet because these devices indeed do not support WoL to wake up devices from power-saving states such as standby (S3) or hibernation (S4).for what makes up the "host" on an access point.

To send a broadcast packet from a wireless or a wired computer to a Wi-Fi printer, a bridge like a AP does not do any WoL, it's simple packet forwarding - because of the Wi-Fi printer must be up and associated to the access point anyway, being able to receive a ping, a WoL-like (broadcast) frame, being able to be detected by SSDP, by WSD, by NetBios frame ...  [the L2 must be kept up anyway] - modern systems like Windows 1x, MacOS, ... are constantly discovering the presence of such a device being in UPnP SSDP, resp. Bonjour for MacOS, ...

Would you mind to let us know what kind of printer make model, and printer firmware as well as what kind of computer and driver is in use which appears not to "find" or wake-up that printer.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements