× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Wax 220 Wi-Fi stability issues

colinscustompcs
Follower

Wax 220 Wi-Fi stability issues

Recently upgraded from a unifi USG-3P and AC-lite access point to a pfSense router and a WAX220. Now we have constant dropouts on the wifi, (like the phone left the wifi and we are on cellular. Sometimes reconnects itself sometimes we have to pick our ssid again) and our phones frequently just turn their wi-fi off by themselves, so we have to go into the phone's settings and switch Wi-Fi back on.

I don't think it's the router bc I put the AC-lite AP back out and disconnected the wax220 and everything works beautifully.

Location: a small 2-story home with a single ceiling access point in the center of the 2nd story. Pretty sure no point in the home is more than 35' from the AP.

Backstory: My ubiquity AC-lite was fine, but I wanted to upgrade to ax/6 in anticipation of fiber coming to my neighborhood. Got a switch and a router with 2.5G ports on them, and a Netgear WAX220.
Message 1 of 4
BrianL
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Wax 220 Wi-Fi stability issues

Hi @colinscustompcs,

Is the locally managed or on-boarded in Insight? Also, is it up to date?

Looking forward to your response.

Kind regards,

Message 2 of 4
zekou
Tutor

@colinscustompcs #metoo +1
All of the issues you described, me and my partner had on our Android Pixel 6 phones.
But what hits me hardest is the random drops on Apple devices which were provided for work. 
So after paying $200 for this device, and RMA, I am at the day 1 with Netgear support and they won't pick up the phone to help with the case. 

I have made longer post describing my issues here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Business-Wireless/WAX220-WIFI-Disconnects-on-Apple-devices/m-p/2360... 

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@BrianL wrote:

Is the locally managed or on-boarded in Insight? Also, is it up to date?

No Insight support on the WAX220. 1.0.3.3 was released around 2023 December 21st, no word of a bigger upadate or fix in the release notes.

What do you expect from calling the first level support, after having RMA-swapped the original unit, and still suffering @zekou ?

My only WAX220 I'm operatting here on a limited deployment szenario is amazingly solid and fast.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements