Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: +9dB downstream not good enough?

adossant
Tutor

+9dB downstream not good enough?

Connection troubleshooting states "Good Downstream power levels are within -7 to +7 dBmV". However, even at +9dB, my CM1150V was not providing a solid link, my router was frequently loosing connectivity (often displayed a red link light and we experienced poor wifi performance). Yet when I removed the 3-way splitter, bringing the downstream power up to 13dB, now it is working fine. Note an Xfinity modem worked fine with the 3-way splitter over an extended six to nine month period, no problems (sadly, when the Netgear was not doing the job, I had to pay $75 for a service call and they hooked up their modem, and then it worked fine).

Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

+9dB is too high:

https://kb.netgear.com/24311/Power-level-guidelines-for-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status and event log page.
https://kb.netgear.com/30007/How-do-I-obtain-the-cable-connection-information-from-a-NETGEAR-cable-m...
https://kb.netgear.com/30008/How-do-I-view-or-clear-the-event-logs-on-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mode...

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 
What is the brand and model of the host wifi router connected to the modem?

Message 2 of 13
adossant
Tutor

Thank you for your response. Yes, I did see that. However, if +9dB is too high, then why does +13dB work flawlessly? Since removing the 3-way splitter increased the power to +13dB, it has worked flawlessly. I haven't had a single disconnection. I have to get ready for work, but I am attaching a snapshot of my connection status while I was experiencing the difficulties. I'll see about getting the log tonight. Thanks again.

Message 3 of 13
plemans
Guru

If it works fine without the 3 way connector, I'd really be suspicious of the 3 way connector. 

You can run your signal hot but it can cause issues and longevity problems. 

that's why we recommend it at lower levels. 

Message 4 of 13
adossant
Tutor

I see. (Although that same 3-way splitter worked fine with the Xfinity modem). Ok, is there a specific 3-way splitter that is designed to function with the CM1150V? (i.e. can you recommend one that should work with it)? Thank you for your assistance! 

Message 5 of 13
plemans
Guru

Most decent quality ones should be fine. Its not always the splitter. It could be the end connector that it doesn't have caps on it, not being tight enough,  etc. 

I used to run around that same 13-14dbmv and it worked fine. Then I started to get errors so I used to just use a 4x way splitter for a while but then it started having errors. so I just picked up a signal attenuator and connected that in line. Has been working fine for around 6-8 months. They're not to expensive. I think I picked up a 3,6,9 dbmv attenuator so I could play around with the signal levels. 

Message 6 of 13
adossant
Tutor

Thank you plemans. The 3-way splitter was a brand new one installed by Xfinity. And they did also install, I believe it was an attenuator outside the house. All of the cabling was new, all the way out to the pole. I will try to find the best 3 or 4 way splitter I can, and see if that one works. I was just looking at this Amphenol splitter on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/AMPHENOL-IPGH3M4-VF-Infinity-Premise-Splitter/dp/B07CQTHL33/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1...) that has one -4dB hybrid output, 2x -7.5dB hybrid outputs, as well as 4 -12dB MoCA outputs. If it's truely Amphenol, I believe it should be of good quality. I like that it allows for three different levels of dB reduction and would allow MoCA use in the future.

Message 7 of 13
adossant
Tutor

UPDATE 19AUG2023: I received and installed the Amphenol IPGH3M4-VF splitter. I can achieve a solid internet connection using the -4dB H1 port which yields downstream channel power ranges of 10.1-11.2dBmV. I tried one of the -7.5dB ports which yields downstream channel power ranges of 6.8-8.3dBmV however the internet connection is then very poor. It was also poor using the -5dB port on the new 3-way splitter Xfinity had installed. It is confusing to me that the modem is supposed to prefer -7dBmV to +7dBmV, but my particular modem performs poorly below +10dBmV. Does that indicate my modem is faulty? Thanks all... AL

Message 8 of 13
adossant
Tutor

I was experiencing poor connectivity using a 1yr old, 3-way splitter installed by Xfinity. It worked fine using their modem but using my CM1150V my connection was poor despite downstream channel power levels of 8.2-9.8dBmV and SNR of 42-43dB.

I tried it using no splitter and the connection was then fine, but power levels were up to 13-14dBmV and forum members suggested that it too high as -7 to +7dBmV is suggested.

One on here suggested it could be the 3-way splitter. So I installed a new Amphenol IPGH3M4-VF splitter. I can achieve a solid internet connection using the -4dB H1 port which yields downstream channel power ranges of 10.1-11.2dBmV. I tried one of the -7.5dB ports which yields downstream channel power ranges of 6.8-8.3dBmV however the internet connection is then very poor. It was also poor using the -5dB port on the 3-way splitter Xfinity had installed. It is confusing to me that the modem is supposed to prefer -7dBmV to +7dBmV, but my particular modem performs poorly below +10dBmV. Does that indicate my modem is faulty? Thanks all... AL

Message 9 of 13
Kitsap
Master

Are you using the proper termination caps on the unused splitter connections?

Link from Amazon:  https://a.co/d/eClKMrs 

Message 11 of 13
plemans
Guru

it could just be using the splitter as well and not a signal attenuator. 

That splitter is a bit fancy and not your typical splitter. Could be doing some filtering thats causing issues. 

Message 12 of 13
adossant
Tutor

Hi Plemans. Thank you for your feedback. My CM1150V was also not working well at all with the more basic 3-way splitter Xfinity had installed (which was brand new). And it also does not work well using a -7.5dB port of the Amphenol splitter, but it's been working fine with the -4dB port on the same Amphenol splitter. I did order and received 10 of the port terminations recommended (ty Kitsap for that recommendation). So I am going to install seven of those tomorrow and can try one of the -7.5dB ports again, after terminating all of the others. I will also work to get those log files etc.. I am off tomorrow so will have more time to work on this then. Thanks again to all, I really appreciate the support!... AL

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7