Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

After every reboot (power outage, manual power cycle, etc) the internet stops working

RTarnie
Guide

After every reboot (power outage, manual power cycle, etc) the internet stops working

My Gateway: Nighthawk CAX80

Firmware 2.1.4.2

Hello. After every reboot (power outage, manual power cycle, etc) the internet stops working (WiFi, both 2.4 and 5GHz and LAN), and the web UI works for only 1 minute until I fully reset the device. A manual reset does not work either, so I have to rush with the 60 second window while the web UI works to get a software restore/reset in. Otherwise, it's DOA.

This router has not performed up to expectations, and now it barely even performs. 

To make things worse, I want to open an RMA case to get this unit replaced but since Support expired, Netgear won't even allow me to contact them for an RMA replacement!

How do they expect me to request an RMA? (no version of firmware/software has fixed the issue).

Prior to this annoyance, any power outage would lose all the settings on the router, except for the SSIDs, which is so odd.

Someone please help! Product is only 8 months old.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Support Expired, but still have hardware under warranty. How do I start an RMA?

There's a newer firmware released that shows bug fixes/stability improvements. 

Have you tried installing that? 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/cax80.aspx

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Support Expired, but still have hardware under warranty. How do I start an RMA?

There's a newer firmware released that shows bug fixes/stability improvements. 

Have you tried installing that? 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/cax80.aspx

Message 2 of 6
RTarnie
Guide

Just installed it, and will force a few reboots later this morning. I will report back what I find here.

Curious.. Have you seen my exact issue before?

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

No. I've got a cax80 and haven't had that issue. 

Its tough with netgears warranty and starting an RMA because you have to prove its bad. and to do that you need to contact support. Kind of a issue

Message 4 of 6
RTarnie
Guide

This firmware so far seems to have fixed the issue, or at least the issue hasn't happened since upgrading. I had to cut power to my office to remove and replace an old ballast fixture and when power came back on, everything was good. Web UI is up, WiFi working and all my hardwired devices are getting DHCP no problem.

Still not sure if the physical Reset button does anything since I don't want to have to take the network down to find out. Previously, it would only just reboot the device. The only way to factory reset was within the webUI.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: After every reboot (power outage, manual power cycle, etc) the internet stops working

glad it worked for you!

I had issues with the reset button as well. it cleared out most things but not all when I used it. 

Kind of why I sent it to the closet for next round of testing and am using a different setup currently. 
I reported it to L2 support but all they wanted to do was exchange it. I just wanted to find the root cause of the issue. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7