Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Best way to extend C6250 cable modem/router range?

rfabs1990
Aspirant

Best way to extend C6250 cable modem/router range?

I currently have a netgear C6250 cable modem router combo.  It has worked well for the longest time and I have a detached garage that I was trying to extend the signal to for a security camera and television.  I purchased an AC750 wifi range extender to try and do this quick and easy.  The problem is that the wifi extender seems to mess up the entire network.  My Wifi becomes very slow and will disconnect randomly when the device is plugged in.  Not sure why this is causing such a problem but it's not a solution that works.  What would be the best way to extend my wifi with this cable modem router combo?  I've had it for a couple years so didn't know if it may just be time to upgrade my system or if there is a more cost-effective solution.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Cable-Modem-Router-Combo/dp/B0787TRNMH/ref=asc_df_B0787TRNMH/?tag=hyp...

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Best way to extend C6250 cable modem/router range?

What AC750 did you buy? AC750 is a speed and not a model. 

Did you setup the ac750 with the same ssid as the c6250 or a separate one?

Message 2 of 6
rfabs1990
Aspirant

Sorry my apologies!  It's the model EX3110 (AC750 wifi range extender)

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/ex3110.aspx.

I'll have to plug back in and check it to verify, but I believe it was on the same SSID.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

the EX3100 isn't a mesh extender. So make sure to have it using a different ssid from the primary router. 

Also, it isn't the fastest extender and is pretty basic. so only have devices connecting to it if they're in that zone that didn't have coverage or had poor service. 

Overall, extenders are great at adding extra coverage and coving dead spots but if an area already has wifi coverage (so long as its half decent) they won't really boost speeds because of how they work. 

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

also, make sure you're using the 5ghz. 

2.4ghz is a slow network and sensitive to interference. 

Message 5 of 6
rfabs1990
Aspirant

Thanks! Yes I was using the 5 Ghz band.  I'll check the SSID's.  If I'm still not happy I'm guessing I'll invest in a mesh extender

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7