Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Blocking IPs on the C3700

hnik33
Aspirant

Blocking IPs on the C3700

I have the C3700 router (hardware version C279T00-01) and I want to block some IP addresses from being accessed from my network - namely google DNS servers (so I can force my chromecast to use another DNS server).

Is there a way to do this on this router? I've tried a bunch of things but can't get anything to work. My parents have a router from about 5 years ago that allows this, and the n300 seems to allow this. I assume I'm just missing the option on this model?

Message 1 of 5
TheEther
Guru

Re: Blocking IPs on the C3700

What you need is the ability to install static routes into the router.  Unfortunately, the C3700 doesn't support static routes.  Smiley Sad

Message 2 of 5
hnik33
Aspirant

This is very old technology - is there any reason it was left out of the router? Is there any way to add it? 

Edit: Can someone recommend a cheapish router that I can add to my network that has static routes and a bridge mode? 

Message 3 of 5
TheEther
Guru

Static routes are probably used by a very small percentage of users, so Netgear probably decided to leave it out of the C3700.  One possibility is to telnet into the C3700 and see if a static route can be added through the CLI.  telnet access is undocumented but you can Google telnetenable to find instructions for enabling it.  Once in, I would look for a route command.  

You have to be fairly comfortable with poking into routers, so the steps above may be too complex.  Most of Netgear's other routers support static routes.  Just pick a model and look in the manual online to confirm support.

Message 4 of 5
hnik33
Aspirant

Thanks, very much appreciate the information. I will look into telnetenable. 

I'm a little disappointed with Netgear for leaving this out but keeping other options such as port triggering/forwarding in. Somewhat strange. Guess I'll move onto another router manufacturer. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7