Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: C3000 eating up my bandwidth

PBlonde
Aspirant

C3000 eating up my bandwidth

I just got an email from my internet provider that I am almost out of data for the month.  1.2TB.   I typically only use about 200-300GB per month.    I changed my wi-fi password and the password to the router itself.   The next morning the wi-fi password still worked but the router password did not.  I had to do a factory reset of the router.

I called Comcast and they said the problem most likely was that since it was an older router I would need to replace it.   They said that sometimes old routers can just eat up bandwidth on their own.

Is this something anyone has heard of?   Can an older router just start using up bandwidth when no one is using at home?   Typically when I am not home, the only thing that might be using internet is my internet camera.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya don't think this is a modem issue though this one is getting to be a bit old. 

Any data seen thru the modem comes from connected devices. The modem doesn't use the data persae, rather passes data to and from the ISP to any connected devices. 

You do any streaming or large downloads? 

Any un-authorized users or devices connected to the modem? 

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status and event log page.
https://kb.netgear.com/30007/How-do-I-obtain-the-cable-connection-information-from-a-NETGEAR-cable-m...
https://kb.netgear.com/30008/How-do-I-view-or-clear-the-event-logs-on-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mode...

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya don't think this is a modem issue though this one is getting to be a bit old. 

Any data seen thru the modem comes from connected devices. The modem doesn't use the data persae, rather passes data to and from the ISP to any connected devices. 

You do any streaming or large downloads? 

Any un-authorized users or devices connected to the modem? 

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status and event log page.
https://kb.netgear.com/30007/How-do-I-obtain-the-cable-connection-information-from-a-NETGEAR-cable-m...
https://kb.netgear.com/30008/How-do-I-view-or-clear-the-event-logs-on-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mode...

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

Thats comcast trying to blame hardware and get you to replace stuff. (the talking to them, not the actual bandwidth usage).

Its you're connected devices using data. Someone leaving streaming on all day, something with a mining virus (had it and it sucks), or something along those lines. Sadly, netgear doesn't have a bandwidth per device tracking so you need to look at your usage and compare day by day. Shut a device or several off each day and see how much the usage changes. good way to try to isolate the device using all the data. 

Message 3 of 7
PBlonde
Aspirant

Yes, that was it.  It turns out that my wife's company set her company laptop to back up everything online and it has just been chugging away.   Once she turned off that feature the usage has stabalized.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Those sneaky people. LOL

Glad that was it. 

Enjoy. 

Message 5 of 7
PBlonde
Aspirant

Thanks Plemans.   Found the issue and it was a laptop that was backing up its' data online.   Quick question for you.   Since my cable modem is a little old I'll probably replace it anyway.   You mentioned that my modem/router does not support looking at data / device.   Do you have any recomendations on a modem/router combo that does keep that info?

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

Its a bit more rare to find consumer gear that does per device bandwidth tracking. 

You won't find that with netgears consumer products sadly. Its one of the most requested features. And its something I think needs to be implemented. 

Some 3rd party firmwares support it but its 3rd party firmware. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7