Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C3700 N600 WiFi Intermittent Internet Connection Issues - Spectrum Internet Provider

Nick540R
Tutor

C3700 N600 WiFi Intermittent Internet Connection Issues - Spectrum Internet Provider

Hello,

I've been having internet connection issues for about 3 weeks.  The internet is working fine, then I lose connection.  Typically, I turn the modem off and then back on, and everything is fine.  Sometimes I lose it once a day, other days, I lose connection multiple times.  I spoke with Spectrum (ISP) and they blamed it on the modem.  I'm struggling to believe it, but do not have a good way to validate, either way.  

1) I only have wireless connections. Not sure I have a LAN cable to connect to anything

2) Not successfull (most likely user error) in connecting to the modem to obtain event logs and connection information.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: C3700 N600 WiFi Intermittent Internet Connection Issues - Spectrum Internet Provider

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page.
Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html

Message 2 of 9
Nick540R
Tutor

Re: C3700 N600 WiFi Intermittent Internet Connection Issues - Spectrum Internet Provider

Advanced Screen screenshot

- Thank you

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, thats not the information we are looking for. 

Also please do not post MAC address or serial number information in public forums. 

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page.

Message 4 of 9
Nick540R
Tutor

OK, I'm sorry.  I'm completely ignorant on this stuff.  Please see attached and let me know if that is the connection status page you are looking for.

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats it. Thank you.

https://kb.netgear.com/24311/Power-level-guidelines-for-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router

Looks ok, maybe a tad bit high, however seems ok for now. 

Check on the channels suggestion.

Also scan around your home for wifi neighbors...how many do you see? 

Message 6 of 9
Nick540R
Tutor

OK, I've set the channels of both the 2.4 and 5 G per your above suggestion, to see if I have more consistant performance. Fingers crossed.

Also, as I look now, there are eight (8) additional connections listed (neighbors, I'm guessing?). None are more than one bar

Finally, had a different one today: my 2.4G kicked out while my 5G remainded perfectly fine (Two laptops side by side...one can't use anything but the 2.4g).  I didn't realize the logs would clear after I made the above channel changes, so I lost the event logs leading up to that problem.  When I tried to connect to the 2.4G, my system asked for the network password, and said it had been changed?  I powered down and restarted the router, and everything works just fine, again.

Thanks, again, for the help!

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Message 8 of 9
Nick540R
Tutor

No change in dropped connections.  In fact, new settings may have been worse.  I returned the settings back to their original "Auto".  Any other suggestions?  Any reason to believe the modem is giving me issues?  It is fairly new (1 1/2 - 2 years old), so I'm hesitant to think it needs replacement, and figure I might have the same issue with a brand new unit.

Any thoughts or direction would be appreciated.

Thank you

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7