Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C6300 AC1750 modem router stopped broadcasting 2.4GHz band

Mike_in_Milton
Initiate

C6300 AC1750 modem router stopped broadcasting 2.4GHz band

I purchased and installed a Netgear C6300 AC1750 modem-router combo last December and it worked well until several weeks ago when the 2.4GHz band disappeared, leaving only the 5.0GHz band broadcasting and available for use.  I went thru the steps we ordinary users have learned to follow (rebooting and verifying settings via Netgear Genie) before throwing our hands in the air and calling on Netgear Support for assistance in solving the problem which, in the case, was the disappearance of the 2.4GHz band.

I initiated my contact online on 8-13-22 and the Netgear support person responded with a series of questions and a request for proof of purchase.  I promptly replied, answering all of their questions and attaching documentation showing I purchased the unit at Walmart in Dec. 2021, well within the 1-year warranty period.  The day after I submitted my reply, I received an email from the support person referencing their earlier email and asking that I respond with the requested info and documentation, the offshoot being that they would close the case (# 46333196) if I did not respond.  I replied back with a PDF copy of the email I had sent the day before, and again attached a PDF copy of the proof of purchase.

My reply elicited a Do_Not_Reply email the next day stating that if I was still having an issue I should call them at an 888 number or log into my Netgear account and report it online.  Of course I was still having an issue; no one at Netgear had yet lifted a finger to address the matter.  If it's a software issue, Netgear would have secured my cooperation in accessing my C6300 remotely and examining the operating system and possibly doing a reinstallation. That was not done and no mention was made of the possibility that it would be done.  That leaves the modem-router itself which is still under warranty.

I know other Netgear users have experienced losing the 2.4GHz band, and I would appreciate knowing whether you were able to restore it and, if so, how that was accomplished.  Many thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Mike_in_Milton
Initiate

Re: C6300 AC1750 modem router stopped broadcasting 2.4GHz band

Thank you, Plemans, for your recommendation.  I followed your advice and the 2.4GHz band began broadcasting again.  I subsequently went into the settings, renamed it and adjusted other settings to get the unit back where it was before it went AWOL.

A rhetorical question: Why did the Netgear "Support" person never suggest or even mention the possibility of my performing a factory reset?  My guess is that once they determined the modem-router was past the 90-day free support period, they no longer cared to assist me unless and until I agreed to pay for the solution you so kindly provided.

In any case, Plemans, I'm happy to declare this case closed, and I thank you for your assistance. 

Netgear makes good modem routers but I can't say the same for their Support department.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

A couple things. 

1. While yes your warranty is 1 year, the actual support period for issues is 90 days. Meaning if its a hardware failure, it'll be replaced but if its a settings issue, it costs you $ as its not a hardware failure. So thats why they have that number. Once they found out you were out of the 90 days, its now a point where you pay for support until its determined its a hardware issue. 

2. Did you try the old "nuke the world" option and just factory reset? Push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while powered on? If when it reboots, the 2.4ghz isn't broadcasting, then it sure could be a hardware issue and you'd need to call the number to go through support. 

3. This is the community support forum. We're not netgear. We know a lot of about it and can help diagnosis but keep in mind that we're not netgear. 

4. Its rare to see netgear remote in to fix an issue. Usually when we see that, its a 3rd party site or a scam site. Not saying they don't but half the time, its cheaper for them to RMA a device then it is to remote in and troubleshoot. 

Message 2 of 4
Mike_in_Milton
Initiate

Thank you, Plemans, for your recommendation.  I followed your advice and the 2.4GHz band began broadcasting again.  I subsequently went into the settings, renamed it and adjusted other settings to get the unit back where it was before it went AWOL.

A rhetorical question: Why did the Netgear "Support" person never suggest or even mention the possibility of my performing a factory reset?  My guess is that once they determined the modem-router was past the 90-day free support period, they no longer cared to assist me unless and until I agreed to pay for the solution you so kindly provided.

In any case, Plemans, I'm happy to declare this case closed, and I thank you for your assistance. 

Netgear makes good modem routers but I can't say the same for their Support department.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

I'd agree that their support could use a little work. 

I'm pretty sure its down to just that they know they have to charge up front past that 90 days of users don't pay after a call. (hard to get payment after the fact)

I've had users report they've asked "does the power light come on green?" and if it does, they'll charge you for more help. 

So its kind a crap situation and thats half the reason the community forum is so active. And why you'll see a lot of community forums for consumer networking gear. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7