Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: C6300 Frequent disconnects

Thehawk
Guide

I love that DarrenM the moderator keeps asking us to describe the issues we are having. Read the thread Darren.....
Message 26 of 65
Dbrown18
Aspirant

My first problem with this router was trying to get the HD Homerun network tuner to work plugged into the ethernet port.  No luck. Finnally had to put a 4 port 10/100 switch I had between to HD Homerun device and the router.  That took care of that issue.

My second issue was packets being dropped when connected to the WiFi.  A continous ping to the just to the internal gateway address would drop 1 or 2 packets every 30 seconds or so.   Most pings would come back in the 2 to 3 ms time frame.  Every 20 to 30 pings the time would be in the 3000 ms time frame or just drop a packet or 2.  This does not affect most devices. It is a problem when I make a VPN connect to my work network.  The VPN connection drops then reconnects and my online classes will time out and then reconnect. 

My work around was to dust off my old Neatgear N300 router.  Plugged the Internet port of that router to a giga bit port on the C6300 and I connect my laptop to the WiFi of the N300 router.  No more dropped packets.  No more losing connections when connection to the VPN or online classes.

Model: C6300BD-1CXNAS|Docsis 3.0 AC1750 Cable Modem Router
Message 27 of 65
Thehawk
Guide

Amazingly ingenious work around. Sadly doesn't change the fact that the C6300 doesn't do the job it is meant to do. Or that no one at netgear is prepared to offer assistance or fix the problem
Message 28 of 65
tensleep80
Aspirant

This is a bit depressing - I am having the same wifi dropout issues, so add mine to the list of problem routers.  C6300  V2.01.14.  This device was supposed to be plug and play - I have better things to do than learn how to be a router technician.

Message 29 of 65
tensleep80
Aspirant

I just finished checking for new updates for the router, it is current.  I tried several soft resets and let the router try to fix the wifi on its own.  I also tried the hard reset button once, with no success, then finally unplugged the DC power supply and that did the trick.  This is a rather frequent series of events, and it comes in bunches.  I can rock along just fine for a month or two, then whammo - I have lots of trouble for a week or two.  This is probably the third or fourth spat of problems since I purchased the modem last May.  I am using more devices - just added a Nest, a Google Home, a Pixel phone and a 4th Chromecast device.  However, I expected this router to be up to the task.  

Message 30 of 65
Dbrown18
Aspirant

Sadly I have been waiting 2 + years for an update to fix the problem with connections dropping but the problem still exists.

Message 31 of 65
Ssamarron
Aspirant

I have the problem daily I don't loose connection but when I'm plying ps4 in the evening my wired ps4 and wirerless connection is weak and I have to reboot to be back up to participate for lagging issues
Message 32 of 65
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Ssamarron

Have you ran speed test and packet loss tests to see if you can find why the lag is happening you may also want to check the logs of the modem.

DarrenM

Message 33 of 65
PhilthyM
Star

Another disgruntled C6300 user!

I read so much about the wireless problems I bought a separate, very expensive access point. Tunrs out the problem is not the WiFi!

I can leave my computer pinging the C6300 from my Mac and it is going via teh new Asus AP, does not miss a beat. After hours of pinging, not a single packet dropped.

At the same time I am pinging various reliable external IPs and regardless of which ones I ping I get around 15% packet loss. So it seems resonable to assume that the connection between my Mac and the C6300 are bulletproof, and the frequent dropouts are between it and the rest of the network.

Given how many others are reporting similar issues, when will Netgear finally acknowledge that this device is inherently faulty and then do something to correct it?

Message 34 of 65
Thehawk
Guide

Yes it's disappointing that no one from netgear has stepped up to own the issue. This bonehead DarrenM keeps asking everyone to run tests. When it's clear the issue is the modem
Message 35 of 65
Gemma
Aspirant

Message 36 of 65
Gemma
Aspirant

Just curious..
Are ALL of you using Windows 10?? Im having similar problems... Ran microsoft network troubleshooter and it kept wanting to reload factory driver for network adapter which seem to grt me back connecteda few minutes later disconnect again.. I load it again... While running other test.
I did it a little sooner then the other times and got an error saying wait till windows finishes uninstalling your device??? I load it Windows unloads it ?? Among many other issues.. DNS not responding.. Missing Network protocols.. Etc.. Had a linksys Router when this all started last Sept.. Work on it night and day.. Feb 14 i finally got new router.. Netgear N700.. Worked great.. No problems until last week.. Anout the 1 month mark..BOOM No inernet or limited, missing protocols, DMS npt responding, even if i do connect, none of my browsers work.. Im teady to rip my hair out.. This is ruining my life.. Im obsessed with trying to find that one perfect solition that will fix it but to no evail. I had nothing at all for last few days.. My modem is a Satellite Surfbeam2 which wouldnt connect to satelite.. So i bypassed rputer to yest modem last night and i connect to internet but browers still say cant find page.. So run back thru router and works about an hour then everything down again.. Oh and I forgot.. The orange light comes on ethernet or internet connection on router.. Second light up
Also noticed that even tho win update set on Auto i javent reviebed any since last sept.. If i try and start it it says its installing one .. But clearly it isnt??? Help please.. Im becoming an obsessed computer geek.. My social life is dying.. and im going to drop kick this equipment thru Windows.. So please. If you can... Help a girl out 😄
Message 37 of 65
Gemma
Aspirant

Sorry.. My router is a Netgear N750 😵
Message 38 of 65
Thehawk
Guide

it happens on all platforms

Message 39 of 65
Jimmieleede
Aspirant

I just bought a C6300 and am suffering the same issues with disconnections. It doesn't look like there is a solution. So I think I'll return it. Does everyone agree?
Message 40 of 65
Thehawk
Guide

Yes return it !!!!!!!
Message 41 of 65
PhilthyM
Star

Well, I am now fully convinced the problem was with the C6300. The options for cable connections are fairly limited, so I felt like I didn't really want to go buy another cable modem.

Instead I bought a second-hand router, flashed it with Gargoyle, then put the C6300 into bridge mode and set the Gargoyle router to do the heavy lifting. And it doesn't miss a beat! Literally not one ping dropped. Go back to the C6300 in NAT mode, dropping pings galore. Back to Gargoyle, not one dropout.

So that has proved to my satisfaction the the C6300 is unquestionably at fault. I now have a workable solution, so I don't care any more. But if others are frustrated and don't want the hassle, Gargoyle (or other DD-WRT variants) may be a reasonable alternative.

Message 42 of 65
NETthisGEAR
Apprentice

Please make sure that when you get a new modem to contact your ISP remotely configure and provision it. This is the most common fix. Further troubleshooting is needed if the problems persist of course.

If you don't do this you will not be experiencing lag and disconnects, so if you are reading this and having this trouble.This is the first thing I would address.  It could also be an issue with the line itself, or a splitter on the line causing interferrence. So if that is the case then your ISP is going to have to come out and inspect the lines and replace them if needed.

Check your diagnostic logs for T3 and T4 timeouts. If you find them then most likely the issue is what I mentioned above.

The C6300 is great, but I recommend getting the C7000 if you have Xfinity.

Message 43 of 65
ThoughtA
Aspirant

I appreciate that you're trying to help, but there are many people now who have had similar problems with the C6300, and doing the basic troubleshooting steps above has already been shown to not work, both in this thread and others.

I'm sorry to say this is a bad modem router. Netgear needs to pull it.

Message 44 of 65
PFunk
Aspirant

Agreed. C6300 is garbage. When I was using it, they came out to "fix" it multiple times. No success. I'm sure the tech reprovisioned during his many visits. When I switched to the Cisco modem, I have had zero problems with wifi dropping and random reboots.

Cisco results

Message 45 of 65
PhilthyM
Star

So NETthisGEAR, what is the basis for your statement "The C6300 is great"? This thread is full of a very consistent message that it is unreliable. I have proved it beyond doubt by inserting a Gargoyle router into my network. Use the C6300 for routing and it constantantly fails, use the Gargoyle and it is perfect.

I fail to see any basis for saying the C6300 is great!

Message 46 of 65
NETthisGEAR
Apprentice

The majority of the time the issue with disconnects is the customer not contacting their ISP. You can go to and modem/router page and find people complaining of disconnects, it's by far the most common and easily fixable probem(in most cases).  And if not all you have to do is contact netgear and have them help or send a replacement.

I understand your point on why I said it's great in a thread where it's disconnected, but you can go to any modem and it will have the same topic. People aren't going to post when things are going well, they only post when there are issues..That is what is going to happen. The C6300 is one of NETGEAR's highest performance/specced modem/routers, aside from the C7000. So my point was I'd get the C7000 first if possible.

Message 47 of 65
Thehawk
Guide

Thanks for your patronizing answer "netthisgear "
Do you not think we've contacted our service providers?
even to reply to your know all answer the c6300 has dropped out 4 times.
Message 48 of 65
PhilthyM
Star

NETthisGEAR, what is your basis for that ridiculous claim that "The majority of the time the issue with disconnects is the customer not contacting their ISP"? Exactly what is their ISP fixing? There are so few variables that the standard settings are going to work out of the box most times. And if tehy don't, the symptoms are likely to be a lot more obvious that dropouts.

How can I make my situation any clearer? It is a routing issue. I can put the C6300 into bridge mode and put a proper router behind it and it is perfect. No dropouts at all. I put the C6300 back into router mode and constant dropouts. Put it back into bridge mode and the Gargoyle router, perfect. There is no question whatsoever that the C6300 is having problems. And clearly this is not an ISP fixable issue, since it is fixed by using a router that actually works!

The device is a piece of junk and everybody know its. Have a look on the Telstra support website and see how many of their customers are contacting their ISP. And have a look at the responses of the Telstra support people. The only person who is going to be calling this a great modem/router has to be a Netgear shill!

Message 49 of 65
ThoughtA
Aspirant

No offense, NETthisGEAR, but it's pretty clear you haven't bothered to read or understand the posts in this thread. The people in this thread have gone far above and beyond simply contacting the ISP. Basic troubleshooting has already been tried, over and over. You might as well have suggested we turn it off and then on again. This is a clear and consistent issue that multiple people are experiencing with multiple c6300s, where neither basic nor advanced troubleshooting is working.

Getting a replacement doesn't help either. I would know. Netgear support were unable to help with troubleshooting after a very, very long process, and a replacement did not relieve the issue in the slightest. As a sidenote, I was happy with the attention and knowledge Netgear support had displayed, but support can't stop the modem router from being a dud.

Also, high performance != stability.

Message 50 of 65
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7