Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: C6300 Frequent disconnects

NETthisGEAR
Apprentice

I was helping troubleshoot Jimmie.. He needs to get it provisioned, get his lines checked, or contact support., Why are you talking about stuff that doesn't help people? No offense but you are helping no one.

What you don't understand is other people read this. Specifically people using Google search for answers, so I am putting out information that is common with the problem. So just because it doesn't have to do with certain people in this thread. Every time someone searches " C6300 frequent disconnects" the majority of time they are having the issue that I am explaining.

As I've said repeatedly. The most common problem is provisioning with your modem, otherwise contact support. It's obvious when peole know that you need to provision and can contact support. 

Message 51 of 65
ThoughtA
Aspirant

Ah, I see. To explain why multiple people did not think this was what you were doing, you made it in no way clear that you were speaking to Jimmie or anyone who lands on this page from a search. This thread is about a pretty specific problem (even if it has a non-specific title), so the assumption was that you'd be talking about that specific problem and the people who have it too. You'll notice that multiple people interpreted your reply to be a suggestion for the people having this specific issue.

I do realize the purpose of posting for the benefit of lurkers and those that later find the thread, but you may wish to make it more clear that's what you're doing in the future. This was kind of like looking someone in the eyes while speaking and saying something you said wasn't directed at them at all.

I'd also say that telling people to save their money and avoid/return a modem that has shown a clear pattern of the same problem is helping. You're welcome to disagree, of course.

Message 52 of 65
shavini
Aspirant

Hi

its been just 2 months since i got mine. and i'm already having issues... i connect use my TV and laptop both with the router but the wireless keeps dropping all the time. and i can never watch any program on tv properly nor work on my laptop. the wireless keeps goin off . the funny part is all the lights on the router are on but no wireless. and even when i switch it off and switch it on it still doesnt come on. i have to do it about 3 or 4 times to get the wireless to work. sick of this piece of crap. i veen tried everything thats said on this thread. but nothing works.

will best buy take it back if i return?? 

Model: C6300BD-1CXNAS|Docsis 3.0 AC1750 Cable Modem Router
Message 53 of 65
Painfull
Aspirant

Netgear c6300 cable modem/router.

I purchased it brand-new from Best Buy two months ago. Hook it up to Xfinity Comcast activated it, and life was good. Proximally two weeks ago started having a connection problem. Very peculiar set of problems when using my computer and the Wi-Fi function no ethernet, the router would display all green lights solid across the front of the panel,  however it would no longer cast my Wi-Fi networks and crash them.  This may be a very common problem in this particular forum but I can assure you even the Comcast cabling technicians were stupefied by this behavior. Furthermore the only way to retrieve the networks back was to reboot the router .  After several phone calls with X infinity support and Netgear customer support no headway in repairing this problem was accomplished.  I purchased another Netgear 6300  and went through the process to properly connect and activate it. Within one hour the router would display the same type of disconnection Wi-Fi station dropping behavior . I think it would be very unlikely to purchase two routers and have them both be duds. Which in my conclusion, leads to the fact that the router has problems either physically or  software /firmware related. To correct my problem I purchased a lesser cost Netgear router and with Standard setup and activation, it's performing flawlessly right out of the box. I personally don't want to router that requires expert router knowledge or customer support to install .

If this problem is so widespread  Comcast needs to take this off their approval list or Netgear needs to figure out how to fix it. If my first router was still within the return date I would gladly return it.

The whole process between Comcast and net gear concerning this router is a big negative. 

Message 54 of 65
Painfull
Aspirant

Hi Chris,
This is Vaseem from NETGEAR engineering team. I saw you have posted message in our community about C6300 loosing WIFI issues. I got your contact from our community team. Loosing WIFI and router being broken in ~2months is awful and especially when you need reliable internet/WIFI.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/C6300-Frequent-disconnects/m-p/1320526#M9213
We would like to work with you to resolve this issue. I understand you purchased another lower cost router:
1. Would you be able to work with us to resolve this issue? Do you still have bad C6300 device with you? What Router did you purchase to fix the issue?
2. I see XFINITY is your ISP. which region are you located?

3. What is the firmware version running on the device?

4. Can you please help us provide these screenshots/logs from your device?

5. What wifi clients did you have problem with? Did the problem happen on one specific client or all the WIFI clients?

Please use below method to capture the screenshots.
https://kb.netgear.com/30007/How-do-I-obtain-the-cable-connection-information-from-a-NETGEAR-cable-m...
https://kb.netgear.com/24311/Power-level-guidelines-for-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router
https://kb.netgear.com/30008/How-do-I-obtain-the-event-logs-from-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-modem-router
thanks,
Vaseem

Message 55 of 65
Painfull
Aspirant

That a bunch of questions.
Let me say this. I still have the first router since it is just past return date. The issue is that the first router worked great for months. Then , I believe a firmware update started errors. I go a buy the very same router; and it fails immediately.
My position as a consumer' is not to spend my free time helping netgear solve router problems. I acted with due diligence when I called tech support. Maybe they should have taken the routers problem more seriously rather than making me call back several times to try something else.
See it from my side. I payed over 150.00 u.s. For a router that worked for 3 months. I am not inclined to assist in fixing your product for free. If you want this router to tinker with to figure out its problem you can have it for 150.00 u.s. Dollars and a shipping label. That way I be happier and you'll have this router.

Message 56 of 65
jk2017
Aspirant

I have started having this issue too. Just today I had to reset the router twice. Disable WIFI and enabe WIFI does not solve the isseu, only reboot.

What is the solution to this very frustrating issue ?

Message 57 of 65
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello JK2017

Are you seeing any timeouts in the cable modems logs?

DarrenM

Message 58 of 65
PhilthyM
Star

JK2017, there is no solution. You just need to read this entire thread to reach that conclusion. The dropouts are frequent and Netgear seems to be unwilling or unable to accept this basic fact and try to build a firmware that actually fixes the problem.

It is just over six months since I implemented a $20 second-hand Netgear NDR3700v2 with Gargoyle installed and have had 100% fast and reliable Internet connection ever since. The C6300 is fine as a modem only, but routing and WiFi are both hideous, so they need to be disabled and other devices used to provide those functions.

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 59 of 65
Painfull
Aspirant

Netgear/C 6300 router modem

It’s evident from the activity of this thread that Netgear has not provided a solution or an answer for this problem, that they’re willing to discuss in this forum.

Since my modem started displaying the strange Wi-Fi dropping behaviors, after return date,  I was only left with two options. Option one beat myself to death , talking to Netgear customer support; or go buy a cheap router modem. I chose the latter because frankly I need a router modem.

Message 60 of 65
jk2017
Aspirant

Interesting - I have not had any WiFi drops since Sunday, but of course most likely it is only a matter of time. So for me it does not happen frequently, maybe just a once a week or less, but last sunday it happend 3 times and each time the only way to get Wifi back was to reboot the modem.

Anyway - If I want to get a wifi router that works reliably, which one would you (the group)recommend

Message 61 of 65
Painfull
Aspirant

My choice was a Netgear C6250 cable modem router that was compatible with X infinity/Comcast. I set it up and forgot about it ,still working like a champ.  There are several other manufactures which make modem router‘s that are compatible with X infinity Comcast.

My experience with the C 6300 leads me to the conclusion; bigger more expensive does not translate into value.   Lesson learned 

Message 62 of 65
PhilthyM
Star

JK2017, it can be comforting keeping things simple and having one box that does everything, but that may not always be the best solution, as evidenced by the range of issues experienced by C6300 owners.

I now have the C6300 operating in bridge mode, ie no routing just as the cable modem. I have a Netgear NDR3700V2 running Gargoyle to do the routing and also to provide legacy 2.4GHz WiFi. I have an Asus EA-AC87 for 5GHz WiFi that easily covers the whole house.

Arguably this is a level of complexity that is not really necessary, but it does give me devices that really just focus on one thing and do it very well. It's completely bulletproof and I have had no issues whatsoever since implementing this. I don't think I'd ever want to try a single device solution again, way too hard to troubleshoot when things go wrong and the vendor doesn't want to help.

Message 63 of 65
jk2017
Aspirant

Its happend for me again just now, dropped wifi, but not wired internet.

When checking the 'wireless channels' in the advanced setup I do not see any information, neither in 2.4 or 5Ghz. Seems like the receive is not picking up anything at all.

The only thing I see in the event log from today is 

Oct 19 2017 06:36:55, Warning (5), Lost MDD Timeout

and nothing in the logs other than 'admin login'.

I do not see my wifi in the list of avaialble wifi (but I can se my neighbors)

Guess it is time to go get another wifi router now.

Edit: yep, after a reboot I see other networks in the 'wireless channel' view.

Message 64 of 65
Painfull
Aspirant

Bad wireless router/modem is like untrained dog; never does what you ask it to when you want it to. It sounds to me like you can’t return the 6300. If that so I’m sorry for your loss of the money. Pick a lesser model save some cash. Life goes on better with a router modem that works reliably.

Message 65 of 65
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7