Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: C7000V2

C7000V2

We have been trying to get Netgear to update our firmware from 1.02.04 to the most current 1.02.06. When we called Netgear support, they not only blew us off about the issue, but tried to blame our internet provider. Our internet provider says that it is Netgear's router, and therefore they would not have access to their system to make the update. Our internet provider also informed us that it sounded shady that they are not honoring their hardware  warranty, and not acknowledging the issue. We called Best Buy where we bought it last year (July 2018) and they said that it sounds like we got a "lemon".

Does anyone have any ideas to resolve this issue since Netgear is clearly not going to honor their warranty? Has anyone else had problems with Netgear? 

Message 1 of 14
schumaku
Guru

Head to my.netgear.com -> My Account -> My Support -> Replace my defective product

Paste as much information as possible ref. the "lemon" information from Best Buy, the browen Web UI, ...

In  general, Netgear does not make firmware available for these devices - firmware is approved and pushed by the Cable TV ISP -> What’s the latest firmware version of my NETGEAR cable modem or modem router? 

Message 2 of 14

Hello,

Thank you for the advice. I will do that.

Our internet provider has told us that because our router is a netgear product, they should be the one to resolve the firmware update. If it was the internet provider's router, they would just swap it out. So why is Netgear pushing back on helping us resolve this issue when it is still under warranty?

Thank you,

Kalie
Message 3 of 14

There is no "replace my defective product" listed here.
Message 4 of 14
schumaku
Guru

Nobody said it's under My Products.

Head to my.netgear.com -> My Account -> My Support -> Replace my defective product

Message 5 of 14

My apologies for the error. But I am still not seeing it under my support.
Message 6 of 14
schumaku
Guru

@douglasskalie wrote:
But I am still not seeing it under my support.

Something like this?

Support - Replace my defective product.PNG

Message 7 of 14

This is the route we have already tried. Once we call, we are denied a replacement for our product. Even though it is well within the warranty date.

Any other suggestions?
Message 8 of 14

Welcome to the wonderful world of cable modems.

What’s the latest firmware version of my NETGEAR cable modem or modem router? | Answer | NETGEAR Sup...

If your firmware is outdated, you cannot manually upgrade your cable modem’s or modem router’s firmware. You must contact your Internet service provider (ISP) to upgrade your firmware.

Is there anything wrong with the cable modem that needs fixing? Or are you just worried ab out the firmware?

If there is nothing wrong with your router, then Netgear may be reluctant to replace it.

As you have been told, firmware on cable modems is beyond Netgear's control. That is the law as laid down by the Internet service providers. That you cannot update it yourself is not a defect. It is as designed.

If your ISP does not want to help, your beef is with it. The ISP probably just wants to rent you an expensive modem that it can control.

It sounds like Best Buy does not understand this and is giving you dud information.

Message 9 of 14

Do you work for Netgear?

It sounds like you don't understand what is being asked. Thank you for your help, but this information incorrect as you stated in the first post.

Message 10 of 14

How is your C7000V2 cable modem defective? I see no clues in your messages.

By the way, you have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's impenetrable community structure.)

The C7000V2 is a Cable Modem/Router.

You might get better replies, and find other answers, over in the appropriate section:

Cable Modems & Routers

Message 11 of 14

The problem is there is no way to update the firmware. It is not something our internet provider can do as the website says because it is not their router. NETGEAR was the manufacturer who made the modem so they need to update it so our modem will run 5g speeds again or give us a new one to replace it with if they cannot as our modem is under warranty until July.

I am not here to argue with anyone about this. If this turns into a yelling match about ISPs providing the update I will not respond nor use this "community help".
Message 12 of 14
mleboeuf
Aspirant

Doug,

Your posts are very frustrating because your question has been answered several times yet you continue to insist that Netgear is responsible.  There IS NO WAY for the individual owner to upgrade the firmware on a Modem used with a cable internet provider.  If your ISP insist that Netgear is responsible, there clueless.  I share your frustration as I have the same modem with Xfinity.  The speed is fantastic but the bufferbloat is horrid

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

If your not getting what you expect from the modem, I would find a different modem or ask NG for a RMA. 

ISPs ARE responsible for any and all FW updated on modems connected to there systems. Either there modems or user bought modems. Be aware that some ISP may not update FW on user bought modems. 

I recommend getting a stand alone modem and a external router. Then you can manage the router yourself, and have less worry about the modem. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7