Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7100V detects USB devices but does not mount filesystems

spocentek
Tutor

C7100V detects USB devices but does not mount filesystems

I'm having some difficulty getting the C7100V to recognize USB devices -- in particular, USB sticks. Some searching of this site indicates that I'm not alone in this. I've verified that the USB sticks I'm using are working; I've verified that they mount just fine on multiple other systems; I've verified that they use filesystems that the C7100V's supposed to handle (e.g., ext4); and so on. (Compatible filesystem types are listed on page 44 of the user manual and according to that are: FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, NTFS with compression format enabled, Ext2, Ext3, Ext4, XFS, and HFS+.)

These are USB 2.0 devices that do not require external power: they're just 2G, 4G and 8G USB sticks.

Some of these USB sticks have an onboard LED that flashes when read/write activity happens, and that LED flashes for about 5 seconds after they're inserted; then it goes off and stays off. This suggests to me that when the light is flashing, the C7100V has detected the present of the device and is attempting to read the partition table and mount the filesystem -- and failing. However, I've been unable to locate any logs on the C7100V that cover this, so while I presume an error message is being generated somewhere, somehow, I don't know what it is and thus don't know how to address the problem.

While the C7100V manual covers the list of recognized filesystems, it's silent on the question of how the device's partition table should be formatted, whether the device should have a single partition (with a single filesystem) or whether device should have *no* partitions and a single filesystem occupying the entire drive, or anything else.

Thus my question: does anyone know *exactly* how a USB device has to have its partition table set up and *exactly* how its partitions must be formatted/arranged to yield a working combination? (For my use case, I'd prefer to use ext4 as the partition type, but I'm guessing if there's an answer to these questions, it will apply to all supported types..)

(Firmware version: V2.01.45)

Model: C7100V-1AZNAS|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series