Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: C7800 Nighthawk LAN Speed isn't as fast as WiFi

phisifinder
Aspirant

C7800 Nighthawk LAN Speed isn't as fast as WiFi

Hi all,

My wonderful Nighthawk is only 2 years old, and Netgear as already stopped supporting it. i can't find an answer to this in the help.  

My question is why am I getting 300+ MBS on WiFi, but only 95MBS on LAN?

I have a Cat8 cable.  

I don't know if I have the right settings on the Modem.  

I'm trying to set the MacBookPro Gigabyte LAN port, but I don't know the speed settings.  

Can I get some guidance on any of this?  

Thanks,

Ellen

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Sounds like its only connecting at 100mbps. 

You can check it. 

https://kb.netgear.com/24222/How-do-I-display-Internet-port-statistics-on-my-Nighthawk-router

I'd try different devices and ports on the router to see if its an issue with just that device or the port. 

Plus try different cables. Try a decent quality cat 6 cable and not the cat 8. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 15

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the supported connection rate of the ethernet adapter on you PC? Older adapters only supported 100Mpbs. Newer adapters support 1000Mpbs.

Message 2 of 15
plemans
Guru

Sounds like its only connecting at 100mbps. 

You can check it. 

https://kb.netgear.com/24222/How-do-I-display-Internet-port-statistics-on-my-Nighthawk-router

I'd try different devices and ports on the router to see if its an issue with just that device or the port. 

Plus try different cables. Try a decent quality cat 6 cable and not the cat 8. 

Message 3 of 15
phisifinder
Aspirant

Why would a Cat6 be better than a Cat8?
Thank you for the help.
Message 4 of 15
phisifinder
Aspirant

Thank you for the link. I'll test it.
It's an old Mac Gigabyte LAN port, but I'm having trouble setting the faster speed. Never thought internet would get this fast. I still remember using Modem7.
Message 5 of 15
phisifinder
Aspirant

Thank you for the link. I couldn't find it on the interface.

It definitely says I'm at 100T. 

But, I can't get my 10 year old Mac Gigabyte LAN card to select 1000T although it is supposed to support it.  

To be clear, although XFiniity claims I'm getting 1.2GB, I've never gotten over 300Mbs, and that was on WiFi.  Is there any way to test the actual speed coming in to the modem from the cable?

It's very reliable.  On the other hand,  the cable was installed in the mid 1980's so the coax is probably not in the best condition.  

Any help appreciated.

Ellen

Message 6 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to talk to Apple about. I know my 2008 Mac Book pro had and used 1000Mpbs on it's LAN port when I had it working. 

the C7800 doesn't support 1.2 Gb speeds since all its LAN ports max connection rate is 1000Mpbs no if your ISP supported 1Gb, the most you'll ever see on the LAN is around 900Mpbs is all. 

And knowing what has happened from that ISP as of late, they no longer seem to support the 1Gb speed tier and have set forth a 800Mpbs and 1.2Gb speed tiers. Seems to have done away with the 1Gb tier. So if you are going to continue to use the C7800, it's best to downgrade to the 800Mpbs speed tier, or get rid of the modem and get you a CAX80 or CM2000 modem which have 2.5Gb WAN ports. 

Message 7 of 15
plemans
Guru

Cat 8 'should' be fine but with its extra shielding, I've seen some of them not made/crimped properly and be a bugger to diagnosis. Which is why if you have a short cat 6 or decent quality cat 5e cable you can run between the c7800 and the computer, its worth trying. 

In terms of the wireless, what device are you testing with wireless? I've used a c7800 and had no problem maxing out a 500mbp connection (all I had at that time). so just curious what you're testing with and what link speed you're getting. keep in mind, 5ghz speeds drop off quickly with distance and obstruction. 

You can also try different 5ghz channels. Try for the higher 149+ channels with that device. 

Message 8 of 15
phisifinder
Aspirant

Can you tell me the settings you used to get the 2008 LAN port to work?  I've tried just about every combination (no knowing what any of it means).  Thanks. 

Message 9 of 15
phisifinder
Aspirant

The cable is a pre-built supposedly high quality.  

It's replacing a collection of connected Cat5 (or possibly 5a) cables that were installed at least 10 years ago.  

I'm getting the same results with both of them.  

I'm just testing the 5G WiFi on my Mac (200Mbs) & Android phone (300Mbs)/. I'm not a gamer and am happy with those speeds, BUT I can't use WiFi for secure sites.  And, there is a HUGE overlap in my area - over 30 visible SSIDs.  

Thanks for your help...

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Was all automatic back then. Port was built in to the laptop. All settings with in OSX were default settings and is automatic. 

You can check the Hardware tab under networking in OSX and see the connection speed there. If it shows 100Mpbs, then you may have a faulty ethernet adapter. Test the apple device with a different router or LAN switch or at a friends place with 1Gb ethernet support to see if the problem follows. 

Message 11 of 15
phisifinder
Aspirant

Hi everyone and thanks for your help. 

I tried a different port on the modem. 

Result: Ookla at 750-900Mbs.  

Google's speed test (m-labs), fast.com, and speedof.me put it at 300Mbs.  

I can't believe that worked.  

Thank you all for your help.  

Message 12 of 15
phisifinder
Aspirant

And, an hour later it has disconnected again. Very frustrating. I may send the cable back and get a 6a (?) I need 65 feet to get to my computer from the modem.
Message 13 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Did other devices disconnect as well or is it only this one PC? 

CAT6 UTP should work. Can try 6A STP

Message 14 of 15
phisifinder
Aspirant

Only this cable. Switching ports on the modem seems to fix it. My other computer (Win10 PC) connected, disconnected & reconnected. I may swap cables. At the moment, it's OK.
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7