Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CAX 80 Using a router based VPN

Retired_Member
Not applicable

CAX 80 Using a router based VPN

Will installing a VPN on my CAX80 router modem cause problems with streaming services?

Will streaming over ethernet circumvent any issues?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

Re: CAX 80 Using a router based VPN

The feature that is part of your CAX80 is an Open VPN server.  It allows you to connect from the outside internet back to your LAN.

What you are talking about for streaming from the outside in, is an Open VPN client.  There is no option for that configuration on the CAX80.  In particular when you have a combination cable modem/router gateway where the firmware is controlled by the internet service provider.

There are some routers with third party firmware that will allow running an Open VPN client so you can connect to an outside VPN service that has servers in foreign countries.  However, none of them are a combination cable modem/router gateway.

You can check out either the Netgear R7800 or R9000 routers running Voxel firmware with the Kamoj addon over on Small Net Builders.  https://www.snbforums.com/forums/netgear-ac-wireless.53/   You would need a separate cable modem to provide internet access.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't believe 3rd party VPN software is supported on the CAX80. That would be setup on the clients. 

Message 2 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thank you FURRYe38

Hopefully someone will come along that is using the router VPN and can inform me if there are streaming issues. I know there are with a software VPN and am hoping not with a router VPN, clients etc.

Message 3 of 6
Kitsap
Master

@Retired_Member wrote:

Thank you FURRYe38

Hopefully someone will come along that is using the router VPN and can inform me if there are streaming issues. I know there are with a software VPN and am hoping not with a router VPN, clients etc.

It would be helpful for you to provide a better description of what you are trying to do or what you anticipate for "issues".  Your CAX80 has a VPN Server option that you can enable and then configure.  There is nothing to install.  That connection once enabled, will allow you to install VPN client software on phones or computers and access from the internet the local area network created by your CAX80.  If you have an outgoing stream, it will be limited by the upload capacity of your internet service.

Yes, I have Open VPN enabled and configured on my R7800 and use it on a regular basis to access IP cameras around my home.  I have Open VPN client software installed on several Android devices and Windows 10 computers located outside my home.  The performance and access provided is excellent.

Message 4 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks kitsap

In response to your questions:

We currently stream without issues, on devices that do not use a software VPN.

I am considering "adding" VPN to my router, which has that capability as you wrote in your response.

Streaming issues would be when the entity knows you are using a VPN and will not allow streaming of their product. I am wondering if those streaming issues would arise with the VPN on the router as our devices we stream to would then be using the router VPN.

Message 5 of 6
Kitsap
Master

The feature that is part of your CAX80 is an Open VPN server.  It allows you to connect from the outside internet back to your LAN.

What you are talking about for streaming from the outside in, is an Open VPN client.  There is no option for that configuration on the CAX80.  In particular when you have a combination cable modem/router gateway where the firmware is controlled by the internet service provider.

There are some routers with third party firmware that will allow running an Open VPN client so you can connect to an outside VPN service that has servers in foreign countries.  However, none of them are a combination cable modem/router gateway.

You can check out either the Netgear R7800 or R9000 routers running Voxel firmware with the Kamoj addon over on Small Net Builders.  https://www.snbforums.com/forums/netgear-ac-wireless.53/   You would need a separate cable modem to provide internet access.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7