Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CAX 80 ethernet much slower than wifi

Amarks2
Tutor

CAX 80 ethernet much slower than wifi

Basic issue--much slower ethernet than wifi speeds. After considerable trouble shooting it is clear the issue is with the CAX 80 ethernet ports, hopefully just a settings issue.

Checking all ethernet ports to multiple devices using cat 7 cables consistently yields roughly 80-90 mbs speeds on 1gig+ Xfinity connection. Meanwhile the router wifi speed is 600 mbs when measured close to the cable modem. Checking with Xfinity they (not surprisingly given the wifi speeds) found no issue on their end.

I have done the standard troubleshooting checking speeds swapping all ports, multiple ethernet connected devices and switching out various cat 7 cables to eliminate device, cable or single ethernet port specific issues. Modem has been reset and rebooted multiple times

In the "advanced-show statistics" of the Modem option all connected LAN ports show 1 gig speeds except for the LAN5 with its 2.5 gig speed. “Aggregate ports” on or off has no effect nor have multiple reboots and internet provider resets had any impact.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Operating environment is Windows 10 OS, CAX 80 Firmware Version V2.1.3.5.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Amarks2
Tutor

Checked the PC ethernet controller early on, it reported 1 gps for ethernet connection. However, what I had not done is check the Killer network card app. Your suggestion inspired me to go back and look more carefully at all settings affecting the adapter including the app. It appears that it was throttling the intenet speed with an auto setting based on what it apparently had sensed as provider speed 90 MBS. Overriding the setting gets me to 850 MBS, not quite what I am paying for, but close enough

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Is it a new device?

Depending on how you purchased it, sometimes its faster to just exchange it. 

Otherwise you can open a support case with netgear. 

To get a hold of support. Click on "MyNetgear" at the top.
Register an account (or login) and then the device.
From there you can start the support process. Keep in mind that its only free for the first 90 days.

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to check the ethernet adapter on the PC as well. Make sure it's reporting 1000Mbps while connected to the modem. 

Be sure it's drivers are up to date.

Try a different Pc if you have one to compare.

Is Armor enabled? 

@Amarks2 wrote:

Basic issue--much slower ethernet than wifi speeds. After considerable trouble shooting it is clear the issue is with the CAX 80 ethernet ports, hopefully just a settings issue.

Checking all ethernet ports to multiple devices using cat 7 cables consistently yields roughly 80-90 mbs speeds on 1gig+ Xfinity connection. Meanwhile the router wifi speed is 600 mbs when measured close to the cable modem. Checking with Xfinity they (not surprisingly given the wifi speeds) found no issue on their end.

I have done the standard troubleshooting checking speeds swapping all ports, multiple ethernet connected devices and switching out various cat 7 cables to eliminate device, cable or single ethernet port specific issues. Modem has been reset and rebooted multiple times

In the "advanced-show statistics" of the Modem option all connected LAN ports show 1 gig speeds except for the LAN5 with its 2.5 gig speed. “Aggregate ports” on or off has no effect nor have multiple reboots and internet provider resets had any impact.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Operating environment is Windows 10 OS, CAX 80 Firmware Version V2.1.3.5.

Message 3 of 7
Network_Eng
Aspirant

Hello,

A Cat 7 cable may be the issue. If it is a true Cat 7 cable, it uses a different connector (GG45 rather than RJ45), and is not designed to be compatible in all scenarios. This is also why Cat 7 has gained little traction in the industry and Cat 6A is more popular. Try using a different cable rather than a Cat 7. The wiring is many times the issue. For a slow speed connection such as this, even a Cat 5 would work fine, up to 600Mbps. If you have a connection up to 1 Gbps, use a Cat 6 cable. Beyond that, fiber optics normally connects to an ISP.

Message 4 of 7
Amarks2
Tutor

Checked the PC ethernet controller early on, it reported 1 gps for ethernet connection. However, what I had not done is check the Killer network card app. Your suggestion inspired me to go back and look more carefully at all settings affecting the adapter including the app. It appears that it was throttling the intenet speed with an auto setting based on what it apparently had sensed as provider speed 90 MBS. Overriding the setting gets me to 850 MBS, not quite what I am paying for, but close enough

Message 5 of 7
Amarks2
Tutor

P.S. Thanks to all for their suggestions--the assistance was much appreciated.

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

Try testing with your isp's website. They usually make sure they can saturate your speeds. Versus some sites struggle to saturate gigabit
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7