Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CAX30 : MTU adjustments have no impact, and resets to 1500 when rebooted

ddeadguyy
Aspirant

CAX30 : MTU adjustments have no impact, and resets to 1500 when rebooted

CAX30, without the S.

Firmware Version V1.4.12.2

On Spectrum cable in Western New York State.  I own it.  I did not lease it from Spectrum.

One of the reasons for ownership is so I can reduce MTU myself.  I have done that, in order to improve my work-from-home network performance.

Unfortunately, I recently noticed that reducing the value has no impact on my ping fragmentation tests(packets that are too large still pass with no frag), and the value resets to 1500 on reboot, regardless of what it was set to before.  None of the other settings reset like this.

Have any other users encountered this before?

My current guesses are:

1) Spectrum acquired low-level access to my CAX30 when they hooked it up, and are enforcing 1500 MTU.

2) My CAX30 is prioritizing suggestions from Spectrum, or perhaps the other devices connected to it, over my intended MTU setting.

I plan to open a Spectrum support request for 1), although they will just say "we can't change your MTU unless you lease a modem from us".

I'm here asking about the likelihood of 2).  Hopefully I won't have to pay for a support contract before it gets confirmed or denied here.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
ddeadguyy
Aspirant

Re: CAX30 : MTU adjustments have no impact, and resets to 1500 when rebooted

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Gateways/New-CAX30-Firmware-Version-2-2-1-12-Released/...

Resolved by updating my stale router firmware. 

Built-in firmware update support didn't find it.  Installed manually, then factory-reset, then set DHCP pool to 100-200.

Cable firmware was already current.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
ddeadguyy
Aspirant

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Gateways/New-CAX30-Firmware-Version-2-2-1-12-Released/...

Resolved by updating my stale router firmware. 

Built-in firmware update support didn't find it.  Installed manually, then factory-reset, then set DHCP pool to 100-200.

Cable firmware was already current.

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 3 of 5
ddeadguyy
Aspirant

For the benefit of anyone else who finds this later, the “reducing the value has no impact on my ping fragmentation tests” part was a feature of my Meraki MX67W. My home computer, connected directly to the CAX30, was not impacted.
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7