Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CAX30 Slow and unstable speed

Shyam723
Aspirant

CAX30 Slow and unstable speed

My CAX30 has low and unstable internet. My 5GHz which is supposed to go up to 800 mbps caps at 351 and fluctuates from 120-351. My 2.4GHz fluctuates  from 81 to 220 mbps on my laptop.

On startup, the speed is at its max, 800 and 300 mbps respectively. But after a few seconds, it goes down and fluctuates like I said before.

I only recently installed it 1-2 months ago and this has been happening for perhaps a week. Any way to fix this?

321.PNG123.PNG

Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CAX30 Slow and unstable speed

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What wireless device do you have connected? 

Are your wireless devices supporting of AX modes? 

Some devices don't support 866, 1300 or higher connection rates so you may not see anything near 800mpbs on wireless. 

Connect a wired PC to the modem and speed test with Ooklas installable speed test app. You should see near 800Mbps speeds here. 

Message 2 of 13
Shyam723
Aspirant

Firmware Version V1.4.10.8

There are 9 wireless devices connected to the router. Most of them are my families and are connected to the 2.4GHz,  as per my knowledge, there are 2 laptops and 1 phone connected to the 5GHz one.

Are your wireless devices supporting of AX modes? 

I am not sure. The laptop in question is a Dell Latitude  E7240, so its on the older side. The other laptop, which is a Mac, that is connected also experiences slow speeds at times, so I don't think its a problem with my laptop itself.

On ookla, I'm getting about 150 mbps.

Message 3 of 13
Shyam723
Aspirant

Forgot to mention, with wired its about 600 mbps, but wired connection isn't viable for me.

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to check with the wireless devices Mfr to see what connection rates and wireless modes that are supported on those devices. 

Most AC supporting devices top out at around 300Mpbs on 5Ghz AC. 

Message 5 of 13
Shyam723
Aspirant

By wired, I mean I connected my laptop directly to the router with a cable. 

Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 7 of 13
Shyam723
Aspirant

Thanks for the help, but there are still some things I don't understand. 

Firstly, the connection is extremely unstable. My 5GHz keeps fluctuating between 120-350 mbps and that is very annoying, especially when playing online games. Any fix for this will be very much appreciated.

Secondly, whenever I startup the laptop and quickly check the internet speed via adapter properties, it shows 780 mbps for a few seconds before going back down to 350, does this mean my laptop can obtain speeds of 800 mbps or no?

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

@Shyam723 wrote:

Thanks for the help, but there are still some things I don't understand. 

Firstly, the connection is extremely unstable. My 5GHz keeps fluctuating between 120-350 mbps and that is very annoying, especially when playing online games. Any fix for this will be very much appreciated.

What device is this on? 

How close are you to the modem? 

Is this the speed test or the connection rate between the device and modem?

Secondly, whenever I startup the laptop and quickly check the internet speed via adapter properties, it shows 780 mbps for a few seconds before going back down to 350, does this mean my laptop can obtain speeds of 800 mbps or no?

is this the Ethernet adapter or WiFi adapter? 

Got a screen capture of the modems Event Logs page and the Cable Connection status page? 

Message 9 of 13
Shyam723
Aspirant

Device:

Dell Latitude E7240

Distance:

20-25 feet away, in another room, same floor.

Is this the speed test or the connection rate between the device and modem?

What I posted is the speed given in the wifi settings, change adapter options, then clicking the wifi adapter, as shown in first post screenshots. Ookla is showing 150 mbps download.

is this the Ethernet adapter or WiFi adapter? 

Wifi adapter.

Screen capture of the modems Event Logs page and the Cable Connection status page. 

3.PNG2.PNG1.PNG9.PNG8.PNG7.PNG6.PNG5.PNG4.PNG

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Power levels are a tad on the lower side and could come up a bit. 

Event log looks ok. 

You have lots of correct and un-correctables that should be mostly zeros if not all zeros. 

I would have the ISP check the signal on the line up to the modem. 
Need to be sure all cabling is of good quality and cable connections are fit and snug. 

Remote any coax line splitters as well. 

Once these are reviewed and check, then try some ethernet speed checks. 

Message 11 of 13
Shyam723
Aspirant

Hello again,

I would like to know if there is any fix to the instability of my wifi.

As shown in the first post my transmitter keeps fluctuating from 117 to 351 mbps. Is there any reason why?

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ensure that any wifi adapter drivers that are on PC or laptop is updated. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 or 149 to 161 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try AX is disabled if you don't have any AX mode supporting wifi devices.
OFDMA in 2.4Ghz is enabled
20/40 MHz Coexistence is disabled
Implicit BEAMFORMING is enabled
MU-MIMO is enabled

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7