Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CAX30 setup with Aruba Networks AP's

y0ungdhill0n
Tutor

CAX30 setup with Aruba Networks AP's

Hello,

I've recently bought a Nighthawk cax30, setup was easy internet was up and running, however i have 2 aruba networks access points in the house (1 in the kitchen/Living area, and other in the bedroom hallway). Access points are powered from the cax30 to a gigabit poe switch, they show up in nighthawks app settings as "attached devices" but under Gateway status" 2.4ghz and 5ghz have red dots next to them. Do i need to change something in the aruba access point settings as well? Any help is appreciated.

See attached screenshot for clarity,

Thanks!

Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CAX30 setup with Aruba Networks AP's

Does the CAX30 report wifi working with out the two APs? 

The two additional APs would need to be using different SSID names and different far appart channels from what the CAX30 uses to avoid any interferences and wifi problems between these units. 

How big is your home? 

Message 2 of 12
y0ungdhill0n
Tutor

Thanks for the reply! Yes the wifi works without the APs, house is about 4000sqft, the CAX30 is in the garage because the coax connection comes into there and the APs are inside the house. Would i have to channels and SSID in the Aruba settings or the CAX30 settings?

Message 3 of 12
plemans
Guru

did you shut off the wifi on the CAX? usually the red light indicates the wifi is disabled. you can push and hold the wifi on/off button

Message 4 of 12
y0ungdhill0n
Tutor

No the wifi was on the CAX. So i ended up factory resetting the CAX and just using that without the APs plugged in and i got both 2.4/5Ghz working on the CAX. Also factory reset the main AP plugged it and it's still stuck on the old SSID also i can't access the APs aruba settings when i type in the APs ip address it takes me to the netgear admin login page.

Message 5 of 12
plemans
Guru

What ip address is it giving the arruba? is it in the same subnet as the netgear? 

Message 6 of 12
y0ungdhill0n
Tutor

The CAX auto assigned it 192.168.1.2 but the subnet is 255.255.254.0. The subnet for CAX is 255.255.255.0.

Message 7 of 12
plemans
Guru

did you try contacting aruba to see if its something on their end or their settings?

Message 8 of 12
y0ungdhill0n
Tutor

I figured it out and got into the settings of Aruba master AP, now how would i go about configuring them to the CAX to increase the range within the house and work simultaneously? I know they have to have the different SSID but both APs require different SSIDs from each other aswell? Also i have CAX set to channel 11 for 2.4ghz and 48 for 5ghz, what do you recommend i set the channels to on each of the APs?

Thanks

Message 9 of 12
plemans
Guru

Devices aren't going to roam or simultaneous well because you're using access points that aren't mesh. 

Its why there's the orbi line of products for consumer (and pro) or the insight series for pro routers/access points. 

They offer mesh options. 

And even if the aruba is mesh, the CAX isn't. so them working together is less likely and more cobbling things. 

When it comes to access points, you want them on different channels to prevent interference. 

Sadly, the roaming comes down to your devices own roaming protocols. 

Message 10 of 12
y0ungdhill0n
Tutor

The aruba's are mesh compatible, i was thinking of returning the CAX30 and going for something with more range, would you recommend anything else in the netgear line that would be mesh compatible with the APs?

Message 11 of 12
plemans
Guru

I would look for something from Aruba if you've already got their access points. Buy a modem only device for your network (I'd recommend at least docsis 3.1) if you  need one and then an aruba router/controller for your access points. That way they mesh together better. Otherwise you're piecemealing stuff together and it ends up functioning poorly. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7