Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CAX30 - xfinity network updates require a factory reset -

jkbarTex
Tutor

CAX30 - xfinity network updates require a factory reset -

When xfinity sends out a network update my Netgear Router/modem stops working.  The xfinity signal into my home has been confirmed by xfinity technical service at my home.  The router shows a WIFI network but my PC and devices cannot connect to it.  I see "secure network no internet" and "Wi-Fi doesn't have a valid IP configuration" errors.  The only way to resolve this issue is to do a factory reset on the router. I have 40+ smart devices connected to my WIFI and resetting the WIFI network connections for each device is time consuming and frustrating.  I've had to do this factory reset about every 2-3 weeks for the last 7-8 months.  I'm to the point of renting the router from xfinity for the $14 per month and throwing the Netgear device in the garbage.  Is there a setting I can select to prevent this from occurring?  Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 6
Kitsap
Master

Re: CAX30 - xfinity network updates require a factory reset -

@jkbarTex wrote:

When xfinity sends out a network update my Netgear Router/modem stops working.  The xfinity signal into my home has been confirmed by xfinity technical service at my home.  The router shows a WIFI network but my PC and devices cannot connect to it.  I see "secure network no internet" and "Wi-Fi doesn't have a valid IP configuration" errors.  The only way to resolve this issue is to do a factory reset on the router. I have 40+ smart devices connected to my WIFI and resetting the WIFI network connections for each device is time consuming and frustrating.  I've had to do this factory reset about every 2-3 weeks for the last 7-8 months.  I'm to the point of renting the router from xfinity for the $14 per month and throwing the Netgear device in the garbage.  Is there a setting I can select to prevent this from occurring?  Thank you in advance.

Your CAX30 gateway (combination cable modem and Wi-Fi router) has separate firmware for the cable modem section and separate firmware for the Wi-Fi router section.  The cable modem section firmware is under control of your ISP.  The firmware for the Wi-Fi router section is under control of the end user.  What is the firmware version you have installed for the Wi-Fi router section?  The latest is not an answer.  Only a number will confirm the answer.

If you have done a reset for the entire device or only for the Wi-Fi router section and afterward configured the exact same SSID and password, your various IoT (Internet of Things) devices should connect automatically.  There are a lot of variables involved and it may not be 100%.

For reference, you can go to this link and determine the current firmware version for the cable modem section of your gateway. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod...

For reference, you can go to this link and download the CAX30 user manual and look for the most recent firmware for the Wi-Fi router section.

https://www.netgear.com/support/download/?model=CAX30

If you decide you need to update the firmware on your Wi-Fi router section, strongly recommend the manual update method described in the link below.

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Stay away from mobile applications or Wi-Fi connections for the firmware update process.

Message 2 of 6
jkbarTex
Tutor

Spoiler

My firmware version is V1.4.11.2.  I was on the phone with Netgear this morning for 1 hour and they verified firmware version and kept me on hold for 20 mins, bouncing on and off the call asking me questions.  The ticket been open for 3 days and no one at Negear Support can provide a solution.  

Message 3 of 6
jkbarTex
Tutor

Hardware Version - V1.01

Firmware Version - V1.4.11.2

Cable Firmware Version - V1.04.10

Message 4 of 6
Kitsap
Master

@jkbarTex wrote:
Spoiler

My firmware version is V1.4.11.2.  I was on the phone with Netgear this morning for 1 hour and they verified firmware version and kept me on hold for 20 mins, bouncing on and off the call asking me questions.  The ticket been open for 3 days and no one at Negear Support can provide a solution.  

It is good you have made connection with Netgear support.  They have resources not available to regular community members.  Your firmware information appears to be current.

A couple of configuration questions.  Are you connecting your IoT devices to the Guest network?

What Wi-Fi security mode do you have configured?

When a computer or mobile device connects to Wi-Fi and does not have internet access, it is good practice to forget the network on the client device and reconnect by selecting the SSID and entering the network password again.

Have you tried saving a configuration backup to ease the pain of re-configuring the modem section after reset?

Message 5 of 6
jkbarTex
Tutor

Responses to your questions:

Are you connecting your IoT devices to the Guest network? (I'm not using Guest network)

What Wi-Fi security mode do you have configured? (WPA2-Personal)

When a computer or mobile device connects to Wi-Fi and does not have internet access, it is good practice to forget the network on the client device and reconnect by selecting the SSID and entering the network password again. (Agreed, this is the only way to reestablish connection with the device on WIFI after the reset)

Have you tried saving a configuration backup to ease the pain of re-configuring the modem section after reset? (I've backed up my router configurations and will try this next time I have this issue)

Thank you for your fast responses.  

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7