Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CAX80-100NAS with Xfinity wifi texting failing

cjp25428
Guide

Re: CAX80-100NAS with Xfinity wifi texting failing

DayneJake1,  this might sound crazy, but I just fixed my problem and it was mindblowing to see how everything is FINALLY working.   This is what I did to fix it please give it a try and see if it will fix your problem.  I've been fighting with this problem for almost a week and have spent probably around 20 hours messing with it.

Please give this a try and let me know if it fixing it for you:

1.  Go into your 192.168.1.1 go into advance tab, admin, backup settings and then erase.

2.  This will wipe out all of your WIFI settings... if you set up your modem/router from your desktop you are fine, if you use the Nighthawk app from your phone delete the app and then download/install it.   

3.   Next when your CAX-80 comes back up from the erase, the original factory preset SSID and password will be what is on it.   (if you want as I did,  go into your cellphone and log into this factory preset SSID and then try sending out a photo/MMS text message.... Mine worked perfectly sending and receiving...   
4.  Next go back into the 192.168.1.1 menu and go into the wireless tab and rename your SSID and password to whatever you want  (DO NOT use the same SSID that you previously used when you had problems, create a new one and just use letters no spaces or dashes with your new SSID name).    

5.  I truly hope this fixes it for you, like it did for me.   Good luck and let me know your outcome.

***I want to thank Furrye38 for all of your efforts in trying to help me, so thankful this is working!!!***

Message 26 of 39
DayneJake1
Star

Thanks for the suggestion.

That is a lot of effort you put in!

I would like to find the cause of the issue. If I go through what you did and have to reset every device in my house to the new wifi (no small task), if the cause of the original issue isn't found, it may just happen again.

Message 27 of 39
DayneJake1
Star

Note that I did erase mine and reconfigure it early last week, but I reused the SSID name and didn't uninstall and reinstall the nighthawk app.

The issue persisted.

Message 28 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Interesting find. 🤔

Wondering why a factory reset and use of a different SSID name and password or maybe just a different SSID name would effect this. Or if removing the NH app and re-installing though I think I saw in a different forum someone had mentioned they removed the NH app, then re-installed it and then messages started to work. No sure how the NH app would play a roll in all this. Ya, seems like there is something happening that needs to be figured out. 

@DayneJake1 when you FR your unit, did you setup from sratch using the NH app or PC and web browser? 

Message 29 of 39
DayneJake1
Star

I did everything by Web GUI.

Only time I touched NH app was to look at turning off the Armor 2 days after the reset and reconfigure.

Mine did work for about 12 hours after reset then slowly started the issue again.  My wife's never worked even after the reset.  She came home after mine worked for about 7 hours. (with the issue reappearing for me a few hours later.)

Message 30 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok thanks for the details. Ya, Seems like something needs to be looked into closer. I've given all the logging you've collected to NG. 

Lets see if @cjp25428 problem re-appears after some time passes. 

Message 31 of 39
cjp25428
Guide

So far going on 20 hours and photo texts (MMS) are still going out and be receiving by text while connected to my home's WIFI.    I've only seen one other weird issue and that is with my Samsung email app, when I try emailing a picture from my cellphone while connected to my home's WIFI say to another email address and I've tried this with a few different ones that photos send out but when they are received it shows the file is corrupt or the picture is won't load and look right.  But when I send out photos by email via cellular data pictures go out and are received perfectly fine.   So issues still exist and it is definitely a Samsung/Xfinity Mobile/Android/ and Netgear issue... 

I"m just happy the MMS/photo text issue seems fixed.

Message 32 of 39
cjp25428
Guide

Last night before going to sleep, I tested the Picture/MMS texting and it was working over WIFI.... this morning after no changes the Picture/MMS texting over WIFI is NO LONGER working AGAIN!

Something in the cellular network/Android/Samsung must be corrupting or messing with the Router functions.

Message 33 of 39
cjp25428
Guide

Probably my final report because I'm about ready to jump ship and buy a new modem and router... and go with a different brand altogether.    My MMS/picture texting is back working again, I did nothing for it to start working again... but my Samsung emails will send out emails without photo attachments, but now the minute I add a photo attachment it is unable to send.  

Good luck everyone.

Message 34 of 39
cjp25428
Guide

What 2 settings are you referring to... because I've spent easily 20+ hours this past week and I've played with every setting in every menu on the Samsung phone, Netgear Router, and within Google Messages.

Message 35 of 39
cjp25428
Guide

I did one last troubleshooting... for the email issue not allowing pictures to be sent over the WIFI, this block ONLY occurs on the 5GHZ SSID, not the 2.4GHZ SSID.   Pictures go out perfectly and are received perfectly via email on the 2.4GHZ.   So the fix for now is to only use the 2.4GHZ SSID, until I can purchase new equipment.

Message 36 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Checking with the both of you to see if the following on the CAX80 has been checked? 

Disable IPSec ALG from GUI (ADVANCED->WAN Setup-> Click "Disable IPSec ALG" checkbox) and give it a try.

Thank you.

@cjp25428 @DayneJake1 

Message 37 of 39
DayneJake1
Star

I have made this change and will test for a few days.  So far it looks good after 2 hours.

Message 38 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 39 of 39
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 38 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements