Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CAX80 update issues

hellotherelol
Aspirant

CAX80 update issues

Hi, I have a Netgear CAX80 connected via comcast. I have downloaded the recently released 2.1.5.2 firmware in order to upgrade my router from 2.1.4.2, but every time I try, it says that the firmware is not correct.

Compared to 2.1.4.2, the firmware file is named differently and is embedded within a .rar file in the zip that I have to extract, instead of just in a zip. This leads me to believe it is just an incorrect file on netgear's part.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be going on? 

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CAX80 update issues

Message 8 of 14

All Replies
My_Username
Guide

I have duplicated your results for what that’s worth.

As for what might be going on - I suspect corporate ineptitude.

Message 2 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Just extract the file from the .rar file and you'll see the .bin file embedded with in. .RAR is just another zip file container. Any unpacking program can unpack it. I'll have NG re-check that file though. 

Message 3 of 14
hellotherelol
Aspirant

I think you may have misunderstood my comment, however thank you for attempting to notify NG.

I extract both the .zip and the .rar files, and get down to a .bin file. However, even that file says that it is the incorrect firmware. Previous firmwares were not in two compressed archives, and had a different name on the .bin file.

I have attached a picture.

Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? 

Does this happen in other browsers? Try MS Edge and FireFox...

Message 5 of 14
hellotherelol
Aspirant

I am using google chrome.

I have also tried to update on another PC that is connected via ethernet on Firefox, and it gives the same error.

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Thanks for trying. I'll pass this on to NG. I guess we'll have to hold for now. 

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the link again.

@hellotherelol @My_Username 

Message 8 of 14
My_Username
Guide

Thank you for the ping.

The BIN is still inside a RAR within a ZIP and that’s a little goofy - but the BIN file is one that works now.

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya kinda odd that they still put the bin file inside the rar instead of just inside the zip. 

Thank you for confirming. 

Message 10 of 14
hellotherelol
Aspirant

The new firmware file seems to have worked, I am running firmware 2.1.5.2 now.

I do agree though, it is a bit wierd how its still in a rar

thanks!

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 12 of 14
WilleP
Aspirant

I’m still having the issue which downloads as a rar file and not bin
Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Download the .zip file. unpack the .zip file. Then unpack the .rar file to reveal the .bin file. Do NOT attempt to unpack or open the .bin file. Just use the modems web page to send the .bin file to the modem using a wired PC and web browser.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/New-CAX80-Firmware-Version-2-1-5-2-Released/td...

@WilleP wrote:
I’m still having the issue which downloads as a rar file and not bin

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7