Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CAX80

SuBiE
Aspirant

CAX80

Anyone else have an issue with the reset button not resetting the router? I have tried the 30-30-30 method, and it doesn't work. Is there a way to achieve a reflash of the firmware by PC through other methods? Thanks! 

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CAX80

The 30-30-30 reset should recover to the setup wizard that would be seen at 192.168.1.1. If this fails, then best option would be to contact NG support and see what the RMA options are for you. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

@SuBiE wrote:

Anyone else have an issue with the reset button not resetting the router? I have tried the 30-30-30 method, and it doesn't work. Is there a way to achieve a reflash of the firmware by PC through other methods? Thanks! 

Your CAX80 has separate firmware for the modem section and for the router section.  The Modem firmware can be refreshed only through your ISP.  The router side firmware can be updated by the end user.

Go to the downloads section at the top of this page, enter your model number CAX80 and it will take you to a page where you can download the most recent firmware as well as the user manual.

Experienced users prefer to manually update the firmware via a computer connected to the router.  For details on this process, here is a link:  https://kb.netgear.com/000061836/How-do-I-update-the-firmware-on-my-CAX-series-cable-modem-router-or...

Strongly recommend you avoid the Nighthawk mobile application for this task.

If you need to do a firmware default reset on the device, sometimes it takes a couple of passes to get it to take.  i.e. reset using the recessed button on the back more than one time.  You will have to reconfigure the router section from scratch.  Again, avoid the mobile application.

Message 2 of 10

@Kitsap wrote:

If you need to do a firmware default reset on the device, sometimes it takes a couple of passes to get it to take.  i.e. reset using the recessed button on the back more than one time. 

Adding to this, if you can use a web browser and the graphical user interface (GUI) to get into the controls, there is also an on-board "reset" option that does not need the "button" press.

• Advanced
  • Administration
  • Backup Settings
  • Erase

While you are in there, why not create a backup, just in case you want to revert to the old settings?

Message 3 of 10
SuBiE
Aspirant

I have tried to reset multiple times. I am unable to access the webpage for some reason. I had access control on and when I went to reset the router (Wanted to start over with what I had configured and whatnot) It seems like it kept the settings but I am not able to access the page on the browser. I was hoping for a method to reflash the router by PC with tftp to hopefully fix this issue. Thanks!

Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

If a 30-30-30 reset doesn't get you back into the modems web page at 192.168.1.1 then you'll need to make contact with NG support. There is no TFTP method that is supported on gateway modems that I know of. 

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx
https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx
Then clicking on "Get answers about NETGEAR products before I buy" then clicking on "Networking for Home" then "Chat with us".

Message 5 of 10

@SuBiE wrote:

I was hoping for a method to reflash the router by PC with tftp to hopefully fix this issue.

What tells you that TFTP is worth pursuing? Do you have LEDs that indicate broken firmware?

The problem with cable modems is that neither you nor Netgear are allowed anywhere near the firmware.

What is the latest firmware version of my NETGEAR cable modem or modem router? | Answer | NETGEAR Su...

That reveals the grim truth.

Message 6 of 10
SuBiE
Aspirant

I'm not going to lie, I never worked on a cable modem + router. I have only worked on routers that were bricked and able to be fixed with a reflash using tftp. I'm not saying that's the issue here as to being bricked, but I have tried doing a hard reset and I am clearly stuck. I am out of options to restore factory configurations on it and that's why I was wondering if another method is possible. Thanks! 

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

The 30-30-30 reset should recover to the setup wizard that would be seen at 192.168.1.1. If this fails, then best option would be to contact NG support and see what the RMA options are for you. 

Message 8 of 10
SuBiE
Aspirant

I appreciate the help. Thanks!

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I checked on TFTP, it's not supported on CAX series gateways.

Good Luck.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7