Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CBK752 Did I choose wisely?

OddTodd
Aspirant

CBK752 Did I choose wisely?

Really wish that I had found this a couple of days ago. Let me start from the top.
I have Xfinity cable internet (just internet, no cable) that comes overhead via coax to my electric pole which is located at the corner of my 40x60 shop. It then runs underground thru it's own 3/8" conduit to the underside of the 1,500sq/ft mobile home about 60ft away. Here the coax comes up thru the floor into the laundry/mud room (closest to the shop) to where I used to have the old modem/router that recently quit working (AC1900 C7000v2 wifi5).
I just ordered the Orbi wifi6 AX4200 CBK752 mesh modem/router combo with 1 satellite. I was thinking that I'd come up thru the floor in the living room (middle of the house) at the TV and connect it directly to the Orbi rather than wifi (the way it was with the old wifi 5 ). Then run an ethernet cable back thru the same 3/8" conduit as the coax, into the shop where I'll put the satellite. If I find that the wifi coverage is lacking somewhere in the house, I can then add extenders or possibly a 2nd satellite (any thoughts?).
The old setup worked great and everything in the house was connected via wifi5. I even had a good signal outside as well as inside the shop IF the doors were open. I have a TV for the shop that I've never hooked up. I've only used my phone in the shop. I use it for music (Bluetooth to stereo), YouTube videos, surfing the web, etc. However, I would like to have internet for the TV as well as a tablet that will be kept in the shop.
Am I on the right track? Did I make the right equipment choice? Should I have done a separate modem router setup? If so, why?
Thank you for your input
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: CBK752 Did I choose wisely?

It's a "pro and con" thing.

• The combination device means one fewer component to find a location for, electrical power, etc.
  • A separate modem means the modem can be replaced, upgraded, etc. much easier.  the CBR750 is not designed to work with fiber.

I personally prefer a separate modem, but that's just me.

Message 2 of 4
OddTodd
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply.
I see your point. As a matter of fact, it is possible that the modem part of my old modem/router was still working. However, I never bothered to plug anything into an ethernet port to verify. I don't recall when I bought it but, I would venture to say that it worked trouble-free for at least 8 years.
Any other input on the Orbi setup or my plan to use one in the shop via an ethernet cable?
Thank you
Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

If you can fish an Ethernet cable  through that tiny conduit, "go for it".

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7