Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1000 - ISP (Wowway) says they can't update firmware, I need to contact NetGear....

CM1000 - ISP (Wowway) says they can't update firmware, I need to contact NetGear....

Seems I'm stuck in a circular finger pointing - NetGear says customers/modem owners can't update the firmware and my ISP (woway - 6th largest in the country) says they can't/don't update the firmware on customer owned equipement. So...how do I update the modem firmware?  I am one version behind what is shown as the current firmware version for 'other ISPs' on the CM1000 page.

I've had connection issues the past few weeks (increased  latency)  and yesterday I lost complete internet connectivity - ISP says the modem isn't online, nothing has changed on my network / hardware side....

Have a tech coming out in two days, but am going to be charge if it turns out to be a modem issue., at this point about the only thing left to try is get the firmware updated....but how do I do that?

Message 1 of 5

Re: CM1000 - ISP (Wowway) says they can't update firmware, I need to contact NetGear....

Looks like this is a complete scam/collusion by router manufacturers and ISPs - Netgear, Motorola, etc. benefit by saying they "can't" let customers update the firmware on their owned equipment due to some ambigous BS docis 3.1 standar, thereby ensuring that modems become obsolete/inoperable/non-secure within a year or two. ISPs are in direct collusion with this because they just state they don't do firmware updates on customer equipement - essentially forcing customers to either A) buy a new modem regularly, or B) rent directly from the ISP.  The whole law that permitted users to supply their own equipment is subverted by this situation.

This is clearly not an accident, its a plan, and there ought to be a class action anti-competitive lawsuit filed against the ISPs and modem manufaturers.

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: CM1000 - ISP (Wowway) says they can't update firmware, I need to contact NetGear....

Its not a scam. Its part of the docsis spec. Netgear does submit firmwares to the ISP for updates. but it costs the ISP's money as they "certify it". So most just don't certify it unless it fixes a major error. Sadly, netgear can't force them to update. 

But usually issues with modems aren't related to firmware. It tends to be line/connection issues. 

Do you have a screen snip of the cable connections page and the event logs from the modem?

Message 3 of 5

I stand by my statement it is a scam, if that's the docis spec, then that line item in the spec serves no benefit to the customer and you can gaurantee whatever 'group' came up with the spec was filled by industry representatives - it only benefits the companies as I outlined above. I'm sure somebody argued it would serve the customer better due to 'stability' etc.

Just like prevernting the federal government from negotiating drug prices somehow benefits the average American.  The point is, I own the hardware, I I choose to ugprade the firmware, great. If it doesn't work,  ok, it is my hardware.  This was not intended to help the the end consumer.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

You can lodge your statement against these guys then:

https://www.cablelabs.com

Maybe they will listen to you. This is NOT a scam!!! The spec as been like this for a long time now.

One reason why users can't update FW, ISP sent FW seemed to have bricked users bought modems back in the past. This was costly for ISPs to have to replace user owned modems. One reason why that ISPs are now testing in house FW that gets sent to them prior to pushing FW to user owned modems. Some ISPs will not push FW to users owned modems. 

If this is not to your liking then I recommend you find a different ISP than cable or use the ISPs modems, either DSL or Fiber which you may have some control over. In regards to Fiber, most of there ONTs are not user controlled either. Not much is needed. So only a connected wifi router is all that needed. 

Most cases FW update is NOT needed or would solve problems with modems. Most of the time its a signal line issue from the ISP which THEY the ISP needs to look in to and solve. 

Good Luck. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7