Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1000 setup

bhelme
Tutor

CM1000 setup

I don't own a computer with an ethernet port. Any way to set up my modem without one?

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CM1000 setup

Ya a PC or laptop with ethernet is needed really. If you have a laptop that doesn't have a ethernet port, you can get USB to ethernet adapters from amazon, newegg and places like that and are inexpensive. 

You can try to see if the ISP can associate the modem, once they do, power it OFF, connect a external wifi router to the modem. Power ON the modem first, then power ON the wifi router. Connect to wifi on the router and see if it has internet connection or access to the modems web page at 192.168.100.1

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Sure. connect your router to it. 

Or call your isp and have them provision it over the phone and then connect it to a router. 

Message 2 of 6
bhelme
Tutor

But the instructions say I need to activate it with my cable company before I connect my router. Interestingly, Netgear support responded rather quickly and said I do indeed need an ethernet connected computer to do the setup. 

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya a PC or laptop with ethernet is needed really. If you have a laptop that doesn't have a ethernet port, you can get USB to ethernet adapters from amazon, newegg and places like that and are inexpensive. 

You can try to see if the ISP can associate the modem, once they do, power it OFF, connect a external wifi router to the modem. Power ON the modem first, then power ON the wifi router. Connect to wifi on the router and see if it has internet connection or access to the modems web page at 192.168.100.1

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

I've had them activate my modem over the phone without anything being connected. Once its activated, then you could attach a router to it and reboot the modem and then the router. 

I guess it just depends on your isp. 

Message 5 of 6
bhelme
Tutor

I didn't even think about an adapter! That's a much better way to go!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7