Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1150v Crashing and Needing to Be Physically Restarted

Espious
Aspirant

CM1150v Crashing and Needing to Be Physically Restarted

I've been having this problem with the CM1150V for awhile now. It'll be working fine for awhile, then the modem will disappear off of the network with the webpage being inaccessable from even a directly connected computer. I figure this is more of a hardware problem than an ISP problem and was just wondering if anyone has managed to find a fix.

EDIT: Attached the last errors that occured

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 1 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CM1150v Crashing and Needing to Be Physically Restarted

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page.
Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly. Ask them to update FW if they can and it's available.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

What brand and model# external wifi router do you have connected with the modem? 

Message 2 of 17
Espious
Aspirant

I'll try asking Coomcast about those things. In the mean time here is a screenshot of the cable connection page. My router is an Edgerouter ER-x and my wireless is through AP's connected to that.

EDIT: Firmware is V4.02.02, which appears to be the latest one.

Message 3 of 17
Espious
Aspirant

So I went through the whole diagnosis process with the ISP, and from their end

the connection seems crystal clear.

EDIT: I agree too, 1gbps up until the modem decides it's had enough it seems like.

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 4 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Also try a factory reset on the CM modem after the ISP has checked everything. 

Ensure LAG is disabled as well. 

Message 5 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem.

And is your ERX router configured for 1Gb WAN to LAN? You are aware that there was a configuration to enable 1Gb on the WAN to LAN on this router right? Not sure if UBQ inplemented this in there FW...initailly the ERX didn't support 1Gb on the WAN to LAN side. 

Message 6 of 17
Espious
Aspirant

I could definitely try the factory reset, do you know if I'll have to do anything after or will it automatically reconnect with the ISP? I believe the Edgerouter is 1gbps as it seems to be pushing it very well, at least until the modem seems to crash. As for LAG, I assume that's the aggregated ethernet option? I'm not too familar with it. 

EDIT: On a side note, maybe I should be considering an upgrade anyway? The CM1150v doesn't have ports with the support for the newer 2.5gbps ports, and I have the 1.2gbps package from Coomcast with a 2.5gbps port on my newest PC.

Message 7 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, the modem only supports 1000Mbps so max you'll see is around that number. Most times if your PC only has a 1000Mbps connection then mostly around 900Mpbs. The CM2000 or CM2050v I believe supports 2.5 however you'd need a router that also supports 2.5 on the WAN as well. 

Yes LAG is Link Aggregation.

Message 8 of 17
Espious
Aspirant

I wouldn't mind upgrading in this case, but having a higher speed than the modem supports wouldn't cause the modem to crash, right? If I were to upgrade I think I'd have to go with the supported modem from Motorola while keeping the Netgear as my phone modem, just becauae it's been so unreliable. It's a real shame though because Netgear seems to be the only company that has voice and internet modems for my ISP, and before this I've had a great experience using them.

EDIT: LAG is also off. 

EDIT 2: Not to say that I'm looking to upgrade just for the extra 200mbps either, I'd honestly just like to try to get the 1gbps working. Which it does work until the modem completely dies it seems like.  

EDIT 3: Went ahead and did the factory reset too, so far so good. I guess I'll have to wait to see if the modem crashes again to determine if it worked though.

Message 9 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Problems stem from ISP signal not being correctly used by the ISP can cause problems mostly on any modem. SIgnals need to be with certain specs or the modem just can't process them correctly. May cause odd issue as what your seeing. 

As mentioned in the suggestions, should be looked closely at to determin all is good. 

Also try the modem at a different location, friend, nieghbor or families place to see of the problem follows or not. This can be telling. 

Message 10 of 17
Espious
Aspirant

So I went ahead and ordered some M to M connectors to replace the splitter and they should be here in a little bit.

Message 11 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out...

Message 12 of 17
Espious
Aspirant

So the M-M adaptors aren't going to get here until tomorrow. I they don't happen to fix it, and all the previous stuff didn't fix it. What would be the next step?

Message 13 of 17
Sloweddi
Aspirant

Howdy,

After spending too much time before I solved the "what does the 3 other ethernet ports do" problem I found that if I lay my hand on top of the unit to steady it, the unit crashes to all the LEDs stay on.  I bump the ethernet cable, all the LEDs stay on. Restart, all is good... unless the thing gets bumped again. Factory reset... same thing.

Cable is good (checked by ISP). Cable is good.  I am almost tempted to take it apart to find what is wrong.

Any thoughts

Ed Beecher

Retired from IT Hardware/Software repair

Telcom repair

Electronics repair

Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Get the unit replaced. Seems like your unit is faulty. 

@Sloweddi wrote:

Howdy,

After spending too much time before I solved the "what does the 3 other ethernet ports do" problem I found that if I lay my hand on top of the unit to steady it, the unit crashes to all the LEDs stay on.  I bump the ethernet cable, all the LEDs stay on. Restart, all is good... unless the thing gets bumped again. Factory reset... same thing.

Cable is good (checked by ISP). Cable is good.  I am almost tempted to take it apart to find what is wrong.

Any thoughts

Ed Beecher

Retired from IT Hardware/Software repair

Telcom repair

Electronics repair

Message 15 of 17
Espious
Aspirant

Huh! Maybe I'll have to wiggle mine around a bit to see if it crashes too. I have the splitter removed now, so I guess other than the wiggling I just have to wait and see.

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know...splitters can be a bad thing.

@Espious wrote:

Huh! Maybe I'll have to wiggle mine around a bit to see if it crashes too. I have the splitter removed now, so I guess other than the wiggling I just have to wait and see.

Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7