Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1200 and Google Wifi (Gen 1)

Fe2O3y
Aspirant

CM1200 and Google Wifi (Gen 1)

I upgraded my Arris SBG6900AC to the Netgear CM1200 as I'm looking to upgrade my internet speeds. I currently have a Google Wifi (Gen 1). With the Surfboard modem (router radio disabled), I was consistently getting speeds of ~ 220. However, when I switched to the CM1200, I cannot get the Google Wifi to work. Switching back to the Surfboard, all is well. Understanding that only one Ethernet port can work in this scenario, I have the Google Wifi connected to Port 1 and assume I'll need to connect from my first Google Wifi point back to my switch for all of my home Ethernet ports. I cannot seem to get Google Wifi to function with the CM1200. Any thoughts?

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: CM1200 and Google Wifi (Gen 1)

With the SBG6900AC yes. Because it has an integrated router. 

With the CM1200, no. it is a modem only. There's zero routing funtions to it. 

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 15

All Replies
plemans
Guru

are you able to connect a pc to the CM1200 and get full speeds? 

Message 2 of 15
Fe2O3y
Aspirant

Yes, I can. I connected a laptop to the modem and was able to access the Netgear config screen and have access to the internet.

Message 3 of 15
plemans
Guru

try this. 

1. Factory reset the cm1200 and the google wifi.

2. after the reset, power them both down and disconnect everything from both. even coax from the modem.

3. connect coax back to the cm1200 and power it on. give it several minutes. 

4. connect the google wifi back to the cm1200

5. power the google wifi back on. give it several minutes. 

6. attempt new setup of the google wifi

Message 4 of 15
Fe2O3y
Aspirant

Not sure if it's pertinent, but this is a Certified Refurbished unit.

Message 5 of 15
Fe2O3y
Aspirant

Thank you. I am on a conference call for the next 90 minutes, but will try that and advise.

Message 6 of 15
plemans
Guru

the google wifi or the cm1200? 

Shouldn't really matter. 

Message 7 of 15
Fe2O3y
Aspirant

Your solution seemed to have worked at first. Google Wifi was recognized and the set up went flawlessly. However, when running the speed test, I only got 0.9, then the primary Wifi point turned red. I tried rebooting the modem again and rebooting Google Wifi, but no change. I hooked everything back up to the Surfboard and 225 right out of the chute. Another thing is I can use other ports on the Surfboard for my switch, which gives me the same speeds on my Ethernet network. I don't know if I have a bad unit (it is refurbished) or if something else is going on. All I know is I have no issues at all with the Surfboard other than the speed limitation.

Message 8 of 15
plemans
Guru

the SBG6900AC is a modem router combo device.
The CM1200 is a modem only device.
That's why you can connect additional devices to it.
Maybe the google wifi is having issues with its dhcp/nat routing. That could explain why it works connected to another router but not when it has to handle it itself
Message 9 of 15
Fe2O3y
Aspirant

I have the radio turned off on the Surfboard, so I'm only using it as a modem. It's router was interfering with the Google Wifi. Google is set to NAT for primary (wired) unit, Bridged on the other two.

Message 10 of 15
plemans
Guru

Turning off the wifi doesn't put the SBG6900AC into modem only mode. It literally only disables the wifi. It still leaves the rest of the routing functions enabled on it. 

Message 11 of 15
Fe2O3y
Aspirant

Thanks for the clarification, but would the Ethernet routing on other ports still take place if I only have one IP address from Spectrum?

Message 12 of 15
plemans
Guru

With the SBG6900AC yes. Because it has an integrated router. 

With the CM1200, no. it is a modem only. There's zero routing funtions to it. 

Message 13 of 15
Fe2O3y
Aspirant

Good to know. So it seems if I want to increase Internet speeds, my choices are upgrade to another gateway, disable the radio and distribute from the gateway to my switch and router OR get a gigabit modem, run the Ethernet from the modem to the Google Wifi point, then use another cable to connect the Google Wifi point to my switch. The latter is what I'd planned to do with the CM1200, but for whatever reason, it refuses to work with Google Wifi.

Thanks for your help.

Message 14 of 15
plemans
Guru

The CM1200 simply hands out an ip address. It works fine with your computer. I'd be more looking at the settings with the google wifi versus the modem. There isn't much to a modem. 

Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7