Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM1200 disconnects

xkyc
Aspirant

CM1200 disconnects

I was having slow internet not long ago, I bought Netgear Nighthawk CM1200 & X6 since it was widely recommended. After getting it installed and set up, it worked amazing...for About 12 hours. Then it disconnected, which at the time I assumed it was now my ISP having issues. For the past few months, I've had techs come test everything, everything was within spec for Xfinity, the tech witnessed it go out. He thought replacing the drop line would correct the issue, they replaced it and there was no change. I call NG support and unfortunately I was out of the free support timeline. He was rude and very arrogant, wanted me to pay for support because, "There is never an issue with the modem" So after taking some time to test my theory, I made sure the CM1200 was up to date on firmware and it didn't help. Then replaced the CM1200 with a Motorola just for the test and I've had constant connection since. Switched back to the CM1200 and it disconnects randomly again. So I'm back on the Motorola for now with substantially lower speeds but at least the connection doesn't drop.

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to disable LAG on the modem.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

Is the modems FW updated from the ISP? 

https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod...

Have the ISP check this. I know there was a FW update this past year regarding LAG slow downs. 

Message 2 of 8
xkyc
Aspirant

ISP signal is great. Everything from their node to my RG6 is brand new and tested great. It is not their issue. I've been running the Motorola since I made the orignal post with zero issues.

Firmware Version V3.02.01

As far as disabling LAG, I don't see that option in the modems control panel. But I did see this, "Ethernet Port Aggregation Status: Inactive" and I'm unsure if that related or not.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Can try a different power supply with matching voltage and amps to see. 

I would make contact with NG support and ask about an RMA. 

Message 4 of 8
xkyc
Aspirant

NG support was absoultly awful. The rep told me that any issue is never the modems issue, told me I had to pay for extended support in order to do anyhing else. After talking with them it sounds like I got the short end of the stick. NG got me for around $500 but I am certain it wont happen again. smh

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Try contacting a forum moderator as see. 

@Blanca_O 

@Christian_R 

Message 6 of 8
JMarr
Aspirant

I had the EXACT same issue with my CM1200. I bought mine new along with a new RAX120 since I was going to have my kids going to school remotely and my wife and I would be doing work from home. 

I started to have issues about a month in and had my ISP change all the lines to my home since I thought it was their issue and not my new hardware. After the replacement, I was still having issues and contaced Netgear to get support with my router (What i thought the issue was since I was getting dropped signal). It was past the 3 months of phone support but they decided to help my anyway. AFter the help, everything worked fine for about 2 hours then everything went down the drain. I wasn't getting any connection AT ALL! I called Netgear support back to help with the issue that they just helped me create and they told me I had to pay for the support!!! I was a bit frustrated with them since you were able to "help" me 3 days ago and ruin everything. Well, they told me I was not going to get any support unless I paid them.

Next step for me, I just replaced my router (bought another brand new one but not from Netgear, since I had a poor experience with both the item and ESPECIALLY the support). This was working fine until I started to have the same issues again. I called my ISP and they redid everything in my home again. Upon testing the modem, they were getting faulty signal/weak signal output from the modem. The tests they were running wouldn't even complete without the modem rebooting itself. So, I had them install an ISP provided modem. 

I called Netgear support, with very low expecations, and got the same run around. I had to pay for phone support in order to get the help. They mentioned to me that it is not a hardware issue since the device "powers on." All they were able to do was try to sell me the phone support and send me an email with trouble shooting tips (power cycle my modem).

All in all, I've been a big fan of Netgear for the past few years but this year has been a complete changer for me and they just lost a loyal customer!!!

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Probably a faulty modem unit. Not all modems are bad. Mine works well. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series