Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM2050v doesn't work with home wall jack

Mdunn1331
Aspirant

CM2050v doesn't work with home wall jack

I've recently purchased a cm2050v to replace my xfinity xFi modem router combo. Unfortunately, it seems as though the modem doesn't work with the rest of my home. When connected directly to the modem, my phone works. However, if I try to move my phone to a different location I can no longer hear a dial tone.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Other notes:
It seems that the old phone splitter that we had been using also doesn't work. We had previously been using a phone splitter to plug into the wall and the phone next to the modem. Now it seems like the phone must be plugged in directly.
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to check the phone cabling in the home to make sure the cabling is working and configured right. If the phone works directly connected to the modem, then the problem is elsewhere. 

Message 2 of 6
Mdunn1331
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You'll need to check the phone cabling in the home to make sure the cabling is working and configured right. If the phone works directly connected to the modem, then the problem is elsewhere. 

What's weird is that all I've done is swap out from the xFi modem/router to having the Netgear modem (cm2050v) and separate Netgear router. The phones all worked perfectly fine before switching modems, so it makes no sense that the home wiring would be the problem unless there are hidden compatibility issues for Netgear and home phone wiring or if there's a set up instruction for Xfinity voice specifically that I have missed.

I'm talking immediate results with no other changes. Just swapping 1 modem for another, and suddenly any phone plugged into the wall doesn't work. The home has been on Xfinity voice and VOIP for years at this point, so it really has to be something with the CM2050v. Whether it's a compatibility issue or user error is really the only questions. I highly doubt it's the home wiring.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page.
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 
What is the brand and model of the host wifi router connected to the modem?

Since we don't know the condition or configuration or wiring quality of the phone line with in the home, could be anything and possible could be a configuration issue with wiring or load on the line  that the ISP modem could handle.

You would need to test each wall out let directly connected to the modem to see if you could find any problems. 

Message 4 of 6
Mdunn1331
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page.
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 
What is the brand and model of the host wifi router connected to the modem?

Since we don't know the condition or configuration or wiring quality of the phone line with in the home, could be anything and possible could be a configuration issue with wiring or load on the line  that the ISP modem could handle.

You would need to test each wall out let directly connected to the modem to see if you could find any problems. 

It's not a router issue though right? Because the modem is what we're connected into. The router we have is just wifi, and that is working spectacularly, though right now we just have a cat5e as that's what came with the devices. The wifi router is the Orbi Pro (SXR50 and the SXK50 satellites).

I don't have any other coaxial cables to connect with so I'm afraid without a massive phone cable I wouldn't be able to try other wall outlets. Why would the load change between the modems though? It's also possible that something has blown out and we have protection we pay for with Xfinity, so we will try to reach out and see if they can perform an inspection of the lines.

Message 5 of 6
Kitsap
Master

Your CM2050V modem has two RJ11 phone jacks.  The top is #1 and the bottom is #2.  Normally only the top jack is active unless you pay the ISP for two lines.

Make sure you are connecting your phone cords to the top one.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7