Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM500 keeps DC'ing

Lefti3
Aspirant

CM500 keeps DC'ing

Hi,

I recently got Xfinity internet but the internet signal keeps disconnecting atleast couple of otimes everyday and at random times. The xfinity tech came here because my two cable inputs were not receiving the signal. He came and fixed the issue which was the wrong line in the cable box. Then it worked for a day but keeps dc'ing and it is super annoying. I bought this NETGEAR CM500 refurbished from amazon as "Like New". Not sure if it this modem or ISP screwing me over.

I have attached the logs from the modem.

Model: CM500-1AZNAS|High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS 3.0
Message 1 of 10
Lefti3
Aspirant

Heres another log, since I cant add mutiple logs.

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.

Ask the ISP to check the line and there logs when this happens to see if they notice the same time. 

I would try another modem as well, sometimes refurbishes items can be problematic. 

Message 3 of 10
robturpin
Tutor

Hi,  I purchased my CM500 brand new from Amazon about 6 months ago, and it's doing the exact same thing!  This is ridiculous.  It will simply drop the connection, and then regardless of whether I call Comcast or not, it starts working again within about 5-10 minutes.  It did it both yesterday and tonight, and so I called Camcast and after waiting on hold for over an hour, I was told by the person that my modem shows that it's offline.  She further said that their attepmts to re-provision it keep failing, and that the error is coming from my device - NOT their service.  I don't care who or what the issue is, but it's wuite strange that SEVERAL people are having the EXACT same issue using this particular modem with COMCAST service.  Can someone please help us figure out exactly what is going on here?  I can't pay for anyone to come out and "check" or service my cable lines, as I'm currently unemployed and only kept internet to look for work.  Thank you!!

Model: CM500|16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.

Ask the ISP to check the line and there logs when this happens to see if they notice the same time. 

I would try another modem as well, sometimes refurbishes items can be problematic. 

@robturpin wrote:

Hi,  I purchased my CM500 brand new from Amazon about 6 months ago, and it's doing the exact same thing!  This is ridiculous.  It will simply drop the connection, and then regardless of whether I call Comcast or not, it starts working again within about 5-10 minutes.  It did it both yesterday and tonight, and so I called Camcast and after waiting on hold for over an hour, I was told by the person that my modem shows that it's offline.  She further said that their attepmts to re-provision it keep failing, and that the error is coming from my device - NOT their service.  I don't care who or what the issue is, but it's wuite strange that SEVERAL people are having the EXACT same issue using this particular modem with COMCAST service.  Can someone please help us figure out exactly what is going on here?  I can't pay for anyone to come out and "check" or service my cable lines, as I'm currently unemployed and only kept internet to look for work.  Thank you!!

Message 5 of 10
robturpin
Tutor

Hi,

Yeah, I read your suggestions in the previous posts.

There are no splitters inline from the box to my modem, only one wallplate which uses a single connector.  BOTH of the two cable lines are high quality Comcast cables, with factory ends and no splices.  I've lived here for 4 years, and did not have this problem with my old modem, so I highly doubt that it's a cable line issue.

I have disconnected ALL cables from the unit and waited for aver one full minute before reconnecting them, but as I said previously, the service restores itself after 5-10 minutes even if I do absolutely nothing.  It MUST be either some signal that it's receiving from Comcast, and/or the modem being stupid.

I will contact Comcast to see if they will come out and inspect the lines, etc., but I simply cannot pay them a fee.  I'll just drop my internet before doing that.

Thanks for your help

Model: CM500|16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a different modem as well to see if the problem continues or not. 

Message 7 of 10
robturpin
Tutor

It seems that @FURRYe38 is simply an auto-responder.  IT obvious hasn't read my comments.  Please allow me to reiterate - I'm out of work, I don't have another modem to try, nor any extra money to buy one!

If you can't offer any actual help, please simply refrain from responding.

Thanks

Message 8 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Trying a different modem, even a ISP one would see if the problem follows or not. If not then the CM modem maybe faulty.

Contact NG support or your ISP service. 

Good Luck. 

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this?

@Lefti3 wrote:

Hi,

I recently got Xfinity internet but the internet signal keeps disconnecting atleast couple of otimes everyday and at random times. The xfinity tech came here because my two cable inputs were not receiving the signal. He came and fixed the issue which was the wrong line in the cable box. Then it worked for a day but keeps dc'ing and it is super annoying. I bought this NETGEAR CM500 refurbished from amazon as "Like New". Not sure if it this modem or ISP screwing me over.

I have attached the logs from the modem.

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7