Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CS7800 & firmware

MJ42
Aspirant

CS7800 & firmware

From a novice, I thought I had been quite diligent when I selected the CS7800 modem/router, it installed fine, is working fine. Overall, very pleased, and I was able to return the rented modem to the cable company (double bonus). But the ominous "firmware out of date" notification started to bother me. So with a day off of work I decided to tackle the problem, and now I think I have it figured out. Netgear was helpful, sent me to the documentation that said "contact isp" and Suddenlink/Optimum said "we don't do that contact Netgear." I mentioned the documentation and they were not interested. So, what I have figured out is, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Recommendations? Must I upgrade my router/modem - will that allow me update firmware from the app? Split my router from the modem? (sigh.) Something else? Go to law school so I can talk to the cable company?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: CS7800 & firmware

You're stuck. The ISP is required to do so as its part of the provisioning. 

But suddenlink/optimium is horrible at doing so and rarely does. 

So not much to do. 

Its one of the reasons (not the only) that we recommend buying a modem separate from the router so you control the firmware/settings on the router and not an ISP who doesn't care. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok so for any C or CM series modems, ALL FW updates come from the ISP:

https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod...

There are no end user FW upgrade options for these model modems. 

Message 2 of 4
MJ42
Aspirant

Exactly. That's the page Netgear sent me this morning. Thanks for responding!  

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

You're stuck. The ISP is required to do so as its part of the provisioning. 

But suddenlink/optimium is horrible at doing so and rarely does. 

So not much to do. 

Its one of the reasons (not the only) that we recommend buying a modem separate from the router so you control the firmware/settings on the router and not an ISP who doesn't care. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7