Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't Get Gigabit Speeds on Mediacom with Netgear CM 1000v2

randomuser987
Aspirant

Can't Get Gigabit Speeds on Mediacom with Netgear CM 1000v2

Hi,

I have a Netgear CM 1000v2 modem that I just purchased. When it's provisioned with Mediacom's gigabit internet, I'm not able to get full speed. For example, about 20 minutes ago I ran a speed test and got:
Download Mbps 165.42
Upload Mbps 27.93

And now I'm getting:
Download Mbps 129.18
Upload Mbps 38.22

The modem is certified by mediacom to work with their gigabit internet, but it's not working. I've contacted their support many times to trouble shoot it, reprovision it, have someone come to check the signal, unplug every cable, power cord, etc, but they say that everything is working on their end and everything is provisioned correctly and that it's receiving a strong signal.

I rented a medicom model that they supply (Brand: Technicolor, model CGA4234) and if I reprovision to it, I get 700+ Mbps download speed on average and 60-80 Mbps upload. If I then reprovision back to the CM 1000v2, my speeds drop again. Just to be sure, if I reprovision back to the Technicolor modem, speeds go up. If I reprovison back to the netgear CM again, speeds drop.

With the CM 1000v2, sometimes I get in 200mb to 400mb download and 60 upload, but it doesn't get into the 500+ mbps. I'd expect 700+ on average and hitting into 800.

Users experiencing the same issue:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/Netgear-Cm1000-not-compatible-with-Mediacom-1G...

Firmware version: V1.01.03 (this is the latest according to your documentation)

Connection table and event logs are similar to https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/Netgear-Cm1000-not-compatible-with-Mediacom-1G...

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 1 of 13
randomuser987
Aspirant

Re: Can't Get Gigabit Speeds on Mediacom with Netgear CM 1000v2

I forgot to add, I'm wired directly into a netgear gigabit switch and don't use a router. Furthermore, the issue occurs even if I get rid of the switch and go directly into one PC using the ethernet cable.

Message 2 of 13
antinode
Guru

I have no wisdom on your speed problem, but, ...

> [...] I'm wired directly into a netgear gigabit switch and don't use a
> router. [...]

That, most likely, would need to change.  Typical residential service
provides a single external IP address, and connecting multiple client
devices to it using a switch will not let them all work.

> [...] I rented a medicom model that they supply (Brand: Technicolor,
> model CGA4234) [...]

That's not a modem; it's a "gateway" (modem+router).  A Netgear
CMxxxx model is only a modem.

Message 3 of 13
randomuser987
Aspirant

Thanks!

1. The switch has worked fine for a couple of years now,  if not more. I'm not certain, but I think what happens is the switch provides sub IPs.

2. > That's not a modem; it's a "gateway" (modem+router). A Netgear CMxxxx model is only a modem.

Yeah, it does include wifi and looks like telephone ports as well.

Message 4 of 13
antinode
Guru

> [...] I think what happens is the switch provides sub IPs.

If so, then it's not a "switch".  As usual, an actual model number
might be more helpful than a vague/incomplete/inaccurate description.

> [...] the issue occurs even if I get rid of the switch and go
> directly into one PC using the ethernet cable.

That still points to the modem as the cause of the problem,
regardless of what your not-really-a-switch might actually be.

Message 5 of 13
randomuser987
Aspirant

You're being pedantic about a non-issue Smiley Happy

> If so, then it's not a "switch".

It says it's a "5-Port Gigabit Eithernet Switch"

> As usual, an actual model number might be more helpful than a vague/incomplete/inaccurate description.

Helpful for what? It doesn't have anything to do with this issue, since it's not a contributing factor to the speed issue. I only mentioned it so I don't get asked if I have a router that could be causing the issue. Since eliminating the switch and directly connecting to the modem still results in a slow speed, the switch isn't the issue. If you're just curious, it's GS605v5

Message 6 of 13
antinode
Guru

> You're being pedantic about a non-issue

It's a non-issue until you try to connect multiple devices to a
simple modem (with single-external-IP-address service from your ISP)
using a switch instead of a NAT router.

> [...] it's GS605v5

That's a switch.  My original remark still stands.

If you have more exotic (block-of-addresses) service from your ISP,
then my "single external IP address" remarks wouldn't apply.

> [...] I only mentioned it so [...]

Vague/incomplete/inaccurate details can cause more confusion than
they avoid.

Message 7 of 13
randomuser987
Aspirant

> It's a non-issue until you try to connect multiple devices to a
simple modem (with single-external-IP-address service from your ISP)
using a switch instead of a NAT router.

I've been using this switch for years without a router without issue (on multiple modems respectively) and all devices connect to the internet fine. Whether my modem is non-simple or my ISP provides a single-external-IP-address, I do not know. All I know is the two modem model numbers I've provided and that if I eliminate the switch, the speed is still slow with the Netgear CM 1000v2, therefore the switch is not the issue nor is a router an issue (since I'm not using a router).

> Vague/incomplete/inaccurate details can cause more confusion than they avoid.

Pedantism even more so Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 13
randomuser987
Aspirant

If it's helpful to debug the speed issue, I can find out if my ISP has the more exotic (block-of-addresses) service.

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. 
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 

Test the CM modem with a wired PC directly connected to the modem with out any router or switches. 

If you don't see anything near your spec speeds with this configuration after the ISP and cabes are checked, possible the modem could be faulty. Try a different CM modem. 

@randomuser987 wrote:

Hi,

I have a Netgear CM 1000v2 modem that I just purchased. When it's provisioned with Mediacom's gigabit internet, I'm not able to get full speed. For example, about 20 minutes ago I ran a speed test and got:
Download Mbps 165.42
Upload Mbps 27.93

And now I'm getting:
Download Mbps 129.18
Upload Mbps 38.22

The modem is certified by mediacom to work with their gigabit internet, but it's not working. I've contacted their support many times to trouble shoot it, reprovision it, have someone come to check the signal, unplug every cable, power cord, etc, but they say that everything is working on their end and everything is provisioned correctly and that it's receiving a strong signal.

I rented a medicom model that they supply (Brand: Technicolor, model CGA4234) and if I reprovision to it, I get 700+ Mbps download speed on average and 60-80 Mbps upload. If I then reprovision back to the CM 1000v2, my speeds drop again. Just to be sure, if I reprovision back to the Technicolor modem, speeds go up. If I reprovison back to the netgear CM again, speeds drop.

With the CM 1000v2, sometimes I get in 200mb to 400mb download and 60 upload, but it doesn't get into the 500+ mbps. I'd expect 700+ on average and hitting into 800.

Users experiencing the same issue:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/Netgear-Cm1000-not-compatible-with-Mediacom-1G...

Firmware version: V1.01.03 (this is the latest according to your documentation)

Connection table and event logs are similar to https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/Netgear-Cm1000-not-compatible-with-Mediacom-1G...

Message 10 of 13
randomuser987
Aspirant

Is there anyone that works at netgear that can look into this issue? Or should I be requesting support from netgear somewhere else?

Message 11 of 13
randomuser987
Aspirant

Why was my reply to FURRYe38 deleted?

This forum is a complete mess.

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Contact NG support or a forum moderator. 

No idea why posts were removed. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7