Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cax80 Drops Connection, But Wifi Works.

AJPO
Tutor

Cax80 Drops Connection, But Wifi Works.

I have a cax80 wifi modem and a 1.2 GB Comcast Connection. The modem drops the connection to my pc that is connected via ethernet cable. Sometimes the connection will be fine for several hours, then it starts dropping, reconnecting, over and over and that can go on for hours. The wifi stays connected and my phone, TV's etc...work just fine. I have tried different ethernet cables, different coax cables, installed different drivers for the Realtec PCIe 2.5 GbE NIC card. Of course I've restarted, and even set the modem back to factory settings mulitple times. I bought the device used and was told it worked fine (yes, it might be a lie). My old wifi modem worked absolutely fine. I only replaced it to take advantage of the speed increase and needed a multigig modem. ISP says the signal is reaching the modem with no problem. Again, the wifi doesn't disconnect, just the connection from the modem to the pc. When it happens, the mutilgig light goes off on the modem as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...as I'm about to take a hammer to it any day now. 

Message 1 of 15
plemans
Guru

Re: Cax80 Drops Connection, But Wifi Works.

What firmware version do you have installed?

there was an earlier one or two that had issues with the 2.5gig connection

Message 2 of 15
AJPO
Tutor

Firmware version V2.1.5.2

Cable Firmware version V1.02.08

Comcast has refused to push any firmware updates. It can be very difficult to get a comcast tech on the phone that has much of a clue. Appreciate the response. 

Message 3 of 15
AJPO
Tutor

Thanks for responding. I have tried the regular 1 GB ethernet ports and it didn't help. I also switched back to the onboard ethernet and still had the same results. Unfortunately, I don't have an "energy efficient ethernet" setting that I can disable. I'm stumped. But, we are thinking along the same lines that it's a setting or something similar. 

Message 4 of 15
Kitsap
Master

On your computer, go to the control panel and check for services that got installed and enabled when you installed the NIC drivers.  Intel was famous for enabling Killer Network Services as part of the Killer NIC driver installation.  These services were not required for the onboard NIC to function and they had a very negative effect on data throughput.

It is easy to stop the service and conduct testing.  If test is successful, you will need to fully disable the service so it does not restart when you boot your computer.

Message 5 of 15
AJPO
Tutor

Thanks. I don't see that particular service listed. 

Message 6 of 15
Kitsap
Master

@AJPO wrote:

Thanks. I don't see that particular service listed. 

No, you will not see that particular service listed.  It is specific for Intel Killer NIC's.  It was a general direction for you to see if the drivers you installed for your Realtek NIC did something similar.

Message 7 of 15
AJPO
Tutor

It's actually a PCIe Nic Card. I'll check with comcast tomorrow about the new modem. I'd like to make this work, considering what I paid for it. If I can't, taking a hammer to it will help my mental well being. lol

Message 8 of 15
Kitsap
Master

@AJPO wrote:

It's actually a PCIe Nic Card. I'll check with comcast tomorrow about the new modem. I'd like to make this work, considering what I paid for it. If I can't, taking a hammer to it will help my mental well being. lol

PCIe is a type of interface, not a brand name.  Be careful with the hammer!

Message 9 of 15
AJPO
Tutor

I'm not sure what I would be looking for. I've spent so many hours research this issue, I've yet to find a single case where the wifi stayed connected while the modem dropped a signal for several minutes at a time. 

Message 10 of 15
AJPO
Tutor

Right! I emphasized PCIe Nic Card just to distinguish that it's not a usb dongle. Thanks for the safey warning about the hammer. It would be my luck to wind up with a hospital bill that far exceeds the cost of a new modem. lol

Message 11 of 15
plemans
Guru

Any other hardwired devices you can try? I've got the CAX80.

I've tried it direct connected and connected through a 2.5gig switch and not had any issues. 

Message 12 of 15
AJPO
Tutor

My laptop doesn't have an ethernet port. But, it's a good idea. I'll see about finding someone with a laptop with an ethernet port. I mainly use my PC for anything internet related. 

Message 13 of 15
Kitsap
Master

@AJPO wrote:

My laptop doesn't have an ethernet port. But, it's a good idea. I'll see about finding someone with a laptop with an ethernet port. I mainly use my PC for anything internet related. 

A USB to Ethernet adapter is a good item to have in your kit.  Several rated up to 1 Gbps are available in the $15 range at Amazon.

Message 14 of 15
AJPO
Tutor

Thanks. I did this earlier and it didn't make a difference. It was certainly worth a shot. 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7