Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Comparable to C3700

FullGrownNut
Aspirant

Comparable to C3700

I'd like to know which Netgear wifi modem router is comparable to my current one which is model C3700.  It maxes out to 300 mps, but I'd like to increase to 400 mb since my internet provider has upgraded my speed at no additional charge.  I also want to make sure I can upload my settings to it too.  

Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

Re: Comparable to C3700

1. You don't want to "upload your settings" to a new device. They're usually hardware differences. It shouldn't even let you do so but if you do, you're likely to get issues. 

2. I'd recommend upgrading to docsis 3.1 device. Most isp's are requiring docsis 3.1 for lower speed tiers. 

3. I'd also recommend just buying a modem and then a router. That way if you run into similar issues, you only need to replace a modem. Or if you're wanting a better router, you can still use the router. It tends to be a bit more when you first purchase but means if you're needing to upgrade/change equipment, the next time you buy in, its cheaper. Plus then you control the firmware updates more. 

4. who's your isp? Some devices are only compatible with certain ISP's. 

Message 2 of 12
FullGrownNut
Aspirant

Thanks for the input, and I have XFinity.

Message 3 of 12
plemans
Guru

Xfinity is compatible with quite a few netgear modems.

Are you wanting to separate out the modem from the router? 
or a combo device?

Also, are you looking at upgrading to wireless AX (wifi 6) or sticking with wireless AC?

Message 4 of 12
FullGrownNut
Aspirant

I want to stick with a combo device for now, and Wireless AC, but I need at least two ethernet ports in the back since I have two home desktop computers networked together.  Thanks again.

Message 5 of 12

@FullGrownNut wrote:

I want to stick with a combo device for now, and Wireless AC, but I need at least two ethernet ports in the back since I have two home desktop computers networked together. 

Any modem/router from Netgear will come with at least four Ethernet ports on the back.

If it doesn't then it may well be a modem only device.

Message 6 of 12
plemans
Guru

If you're wanting wireless AC but an upgrade to docsis 3.1, the C7800 is a solid device. its still an AC device but does support up to gigabit speeds. 

Although you might find the CAX30 cheaper than the C7800. The CAX is newer and an AX device. 

Message 7 of 12
FullGrownNut
Aspirant

@michaelkenward Well, my Netgear C3700 only has two ethernet ports, and it is a modem/router combo.

Message 8 of 12
FullGrownNut
Aspirant

@plemans Thank you, the CAX30 appears to be better for me since I'd like to keep the cost down as low as I can for now, while getting what I need. 

I was reading some reviews on Amazon, and a few people were saying they were having a nightmare of a time keeping their wireless devices connected to it, even after firmware updates, etc.  If you observe them HERE, pay close attention to Ryan's and also Jonathon's reviews because you can tell that both of them are very tech savvy, but still couldn't get it to work properly.  I know there are more positive reviews than negative, but still, I'd hate to have to go through what they did.  What are you thoughts on what happened in their case?

Message 9 of 12
plemans
Guru

Its tough. Whenever there's a new product, you're going to have some bad ones. And you always see issues on forums/reviews because thats were you go when you have issues.

Can't even guess on what on in their case. I'd buy from somewhere with a decent return policy and if it didn't work for you, return in. I can say I've got an CAX80 and its been solid for me

Message 10 of 12

@FullGrownNut wrote:

@michaelkenward Well, my Netgear C3700 only has two ethernet ports, and it is a modem/router combo.

Your old modem is eight years old.

Technology has moved on since then.

That is one reason why it is often a good idea to have separate modem and router.

Routers change more often than modems, as they acquire new features. You could even use your museum piece modem – if it still works – in front of a spiffy new router. Not something I'd recommend.

But if you do find a crippled modem router – something that some ISPs may supply or specify – it costs very little (<$£€20 or so) to add a simple switch to add more ports. The smallest switch has four ports. I have one with 16.

You never know when you will need more sockets to plug into. Things like smart TVs, for example, can be better supported as wired devices that over wifi.

Message 11 of 12

@FullGrownNut wrote:

I was reading some reviews on Amazon, and a few people were saying they were having a nightmare of a time keeping their wireless devices connected to it, even after firmware updates, etc. 

Good move to read Amazon reviews.

They are likely to be less furious than the things that appear here. People turn up here with problems, not plaudits.

Anything newer than your existing box will be an improvement.

Bargains are best had by avoiding the bleeding edge and going for "last year's model".

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7