Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connect Coax WAN port via Ethernet converter Netgear AC1600 Model C6250 Cable Modem/Router

Jayhawkil
Follower

Connect Coax WAN port via Ethernet converter Netgear AC1600 Model C6250 Cable Modem/Router

Hello,

Background: I recently purchased a new cable because I thought my existing one had a problem.  It turns out it didn't, which is fine because my new Nighthawk C7000 has more ethernet ports.  I'd like to repurpose my old C6250 as a firewall to separate my work at home environment from the rest of my LAN.  

Goal:  I'm thinking that I should be able to use one of those ethernet to coax converters between my switch and the coax port on my C6250 and then connect my work devices to the ethernet ports on the C6250.  This way if bad actors or malware made it onto my personal LAN there would be some sort of protection for my work environment.  

Questions: (1) If the ethernet to coax converter works like what I read, would it get an IP address from my LAN via DHCP the same as an ethernet based router? Or is there some proprietary hocus pocus that makes it only work with cable providers. (2) How would updates work.  Since I would, in effect, be the cable provider and updates are not an option for the end user.  (3)  Those ethernet to coax converter devices are usually advertised to convert ethernet to coax and then back to ethernet.  Would it even work if without going back to ethernet.  (I know I need to query support for one of those products, but maybe someone here knows.)

Note:  Before anyone says it, I am aware that there are other great and / or simpler ways of accomplishing the same end results.  I just want to know if this would work and if there is anything else to consider 

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jayhawkil

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Connect Coax WAN port via Ethernet converter Netgear AC1600 Model C6250 Cable Modem/Router

It won't work. 

The ethernet/coax adapters or moca device. (ethernet over coax). 

The C6250 isn't a moca compatible device. 

and it doesn't have a router only mode. (it does have a modem only mode)

It was a good idea but it won't work. Sorry. 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7